ICEF Inglewood Middle Charter Academy- Home of the Cougars!
From what I hear, most people had a pretty relaxing break. Folks celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and generally, experienced moments of sincere relaxation and love.
Second semester is slated to be a great one. We are solidified as a team and this semester we will continue to maintain our solid foundation. Review the 'State of the IIMCA Union' newsletter that I sent out to our stakeholders- these areas are our strengths and our work is producing accolades for our school community. More importantly, our scholars are showing improvement in their attainment of the content and their character development.
With that said, ACCOUNTABILITY will be one of my priority areas for the team. I am incredibly excited about this second semester and even more excited about the program we will be delivering to our scholars!
Proud to be your leader; excited about the present!
Week One, Second Semester- CULTURE
Reset your culture and expectations. Contact parents and hold your scholars accountable to the vision you have set for your classroom.
Action plan to resetting culture:
Assign seats thoughtfully
Ice breaker activities (Must be simple and not require much movement)
Discuss classroom rules and consequences- Hold scholars to it
Assign homework that is related to classroom culture. For example, an essay describing the perfect classroom, interview a scholar (you choose the scholar), complete a peer scavenger hunt, etc. If scholars do not turn it in on-time... What are the consequences? Must exist and must be immediate and fair.
Front Gate/Greeter: Geoffrey, Earl
Zen Garden/Office Area: Camille
Restrooms/Room 8: Terrance
Zen Garden/Office Area: Sam
Restrooms/Room 8: Ericka, Liz
Basketball Court: Security Guard
Adult RR Area: M'Jumbe/Brittanee
Zen Garden/Office Area: Emyln
Restrooms/Room 8: Lyndsey, Sterling (8th Grade Lunch), Geoffrey (7th Grade lunch), LongTerm Sub- Cary Hill (6th grade lunch)
Basketball Court: Security Guard
Adult RR Area: Bryant
Everyone begins in cafeteria until scholars are dismissed
Front Gate/Greeter: Ava, Nancy, Liz
Zen Garden/Office Area: Brittanee
Restrooms/Room 8: YPI Program
- Lesson plans are due by 3 pm on Sunday.
- Your lesson plan will be reviewed by your mentor teacher every week. Corrections/comments may be made on your LP, if that is the case, you must make the changes on the following week's LP.
#1 Priority: Culture (The improvements are Palpable!)
- Continue to enforce the expectations and celebrate successes
- Set the expectation, repeat until your class has it down, proceed with your next expectations
- Frequently use talking points to encourage our scholars and stakeholders
- Culture checklist- members of the ILT and Ops team will be observing and providing feedback this week
TEF Classroom Management: 2.1 A. Value of Effort and Challenge
- A member from the ILT will be coming in to observe this indicator
- Academics must be the primary reason for celebration in the classroom
- Behavior is your second reason for celebration
- How will your system highlight academic and behavioral success in your classroom on a daily basis?
ILT is observing the following:
- Many missed opportunities to connect high expectations to high grades, top colleges, etc
- Lack of scholar work/achievements up in the classroom (Data wall can be used)
- Connect current learning experiences to short and long term goals rather than just completion of the objective itself
- Student of the Day, Week, Month and/or Year- Recognition and incentives
TEF Behavior Focus: 2.2 A
I am observing the following:
- Scholars talking over the teacher
- Scholars are unclear about shifts in their expectations during the different parts of the cycle
- Don't talk over scholars. Stop and make eye contact with the scholar who is talking. Throughout the lesson walk with purpose toward scholar who may have a hard time staying on task
- During the Do Now, I need you to be at level 0, working independently. If you have a question/comment/concern raise your hand and I will come by
- While I am talking I need all eyes on me, level 0, SLANTING
TEF Academic Focus: 3.3 B
- Scholars providing one word answers
- Responding to answers with 3-5 grammatical errors
- Once the scholar answers the question, prompt them to restate the answer using the following academic terms and/or evidence (have scholars refer to notes, PowerPoint slide, etc to determine academic language and facts) in a complete sentence. For scholars who may struggle with using complete sentences, model the correct way to answer the question (with academic vocab/evidence) and allow them repeat. (Note that this is a child that needs small group instruction)
- Provide scholar with sentence starter, example of what can be said
- Pull child aside to discuss the error- especially when it's reoccuring
PSAs this Wednesday
All environments need to be updated.
***Save The Date***
Month of January
- Wednesday, 13: Ops and Instruction Meeting- Will begin together in Tawfik's classroom. Lunch will be served at 1 pm.
- Additional dates will be sent in our next newsletter