March 29, 2019
First Graders Rewarded
On Wednesday, first graders enjoyed the warm weather during a well earned extra recess. For the past couple of months, first graders have been earning snowballs and snowman accessories to build a snowman located in the first grade hallway. Classes earned the snowballs for demonstrating good behavior (walking quietly in the halls, helping each other, returning all library books, and following rules). As you can see, the first graders completed the snowman and enjoyed the spring weather!
This week at Northstar Pam Bettger from Crossroads of Pella shared ways to keep ourselves safe and how to stand up for ourselves if something doesn't seem right. One of the resources she used was the story "The Kid Trapper" by Julia Cook. Be sure to ask your student about what they learned about keeping themselves safe!
Fifth Grade March Madness
Students in fifth grade discussed the probability of picking a perfect bracket in math class. They learned how the seedings of tournament regions benefited the higher ranked teams. Students in language arts classes completed a Kahoot quiz online about random March Madness trivia.
KMS art classes are wrapping March up by getting a little messy!
Driver Education is offered at Knoxville High School through Triple ‘R’ Driving School. There will be two summer sessions offered:
- The 1st summer session will begin Monday, June 3rd and conclude on Saturday, June 15th. This session will include classroom hours every day (Mon-Fri) for three hours (8-11am).
- The 2nd summer session will begin Monday, July 22nd and conclude on Saturday, August 3rd. This session will include classroom hours every day (Mon-Fri) for three hours (8-11am).
Families who wish to enroll their student should complete the registration form and return the bottom portion to the high school or middle school office, or mail the registration form to the address listed on the form.
For those families who qualify for free or reduced tuition, please indicate that on the bottom of the registration form you turn it (write “free” or “reduced” on form). As a reminder, in order to receive the free and reduced benefit, students must take drivers education through the school affiliated provider (Triple ‘R’).
If you have any questions concerning the summer driver education program at Knoxville High School, please contact Ryan Rump at 319-470-6975, or e-mail email@example.com.
KHS choir members visited New York City over spring break. They boarded tour buses on Friday morning and traveled to Chicago for a practice session at VanderCook College. The choir continued on to New York and visited a variety of sights including the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the 911 Memorial, the United Nations, Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall, and more. Students had the opportunity to sing at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and at the United Nations. They were also treated to a choral practice session with Broadway professionals. Shopping at Times Square and attending the musical, Aladdin, were highlights of the trip for many! Thank you to Mrs. Duffy for organizing the trip and to the Music Boosters for purchasing some of the meals for the group. Your contributions have helped to provide learning experiences and create memories that will last a lifetime for our students!
Senior Alert - Upcoming Scholarships
March scholarship deadlines:
- March 28 – REACH Educational Grant Program - http://programs.applyists.com/reach/
- March 28 – Work Ethic Scholarship Program - https://www.mikeroweworks.org/scholarship/
- March 30 – LDA-IA - http://ldaiowa.org/
- March 30 – Iowa Hospital Scholarship - http://www.iowahospitalscholarships.org/
- March 31 – HBA Scholarship Program - http://hbaiowa.org/about-the-hba-iowa/scholarship-information/
- March 31 – LNESC - https://www.lnesc.org/
- March 31 – LULAC 10 Scholarship - http://www.lulac10.org/?page_id=5
- March 31 – Mesothelioma Alliance Scholarship - https://www.mesothelioma.com/scholarship/
- March 31 – P. Buckley Moss Society Scholarship - http://mossfoundation.org/current_scholarships.html
- March 31 – Young American Patriotic Art Contest - https://vfwauxiliary.org/scholarships/young-american-creative-patriotic-art-contest/
If you have any questions about the scholarship process, or any other part of your journey, give us a call at 877-272-4692 or email ICAN@ICANsucceed.org.
Knoxville CSD Make-Up Days
In case you missed it: Here is our plan for make-up days as of 2.26.2019. All calendars have been updated on our website to reflect the schedule changes:
- Academic Calendar (one page)
- District Calendar (choose from multiple format options; view in web browser or via the Google Calendar mobile app)
As a reminder, our 2019-2020 Academic Calendar is also posted to help you plan for next year.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa @ the district office at 641-842-6551 opt. 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notifications for School Delays & Cancellations
In order to receive notifications regarding weather cancellations and/or delays or changes to district activities, please subscribe to the GovDelivery service. Signing up is easy at: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/IAEDU3375/subscriber/new. Screenshots are pictured below of the subscription process. If you need assistance, please contact: Lisa.Willis@kcsd.k12.ia.us or 641-842-6551 opt 1.
2019-2020 Knoxville CSD Calendar
Rec Center Spring Deadlines
To Purchase & Customize Your Yearbook
Must be a parent or student 13 years or older.
Enter your school’s passcode: 1015064502971783
Regular Price: $18.00 Deadline: Apr 9
Marion County Public Health
KCSD ADMIN. OFFICE
Stay connected by frequenting our website or following us on social media!
- High School: www.facebook.com/KHSPanthers/ & twitter.com/KHS_Panthers
- Middle School: www.facebook.com/PanthersKMS/ & twitter.com/Panthers_KMS
- Northstar: www.facebook.com/NorthstarElementary/ & twitter.com/MrKeitges
- West: www.facebook.com/knoxvillewestelementary/ & twitter.com/pantherswest
Rate us on greatschools.org!