WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
January 6, 2020
THIS WEEK'S CALENDAR
Wednesday, Jan. 8th, 12pm to Saturday, Jan. 11th, 11pm
333 South Franklin Street
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Happy New Year! I hope that everyone has had a relaxing, refreshing, and rejuvenating break. Especially after such an event-filled semester, it's nice to take a step back to prepare for another event-filled spring.
As we return from break, there are a number of items students and parents need to focus their attention to very quickly:
- SOLO & ENSEMBLE: The current list of events for S&E will be posted on the Band bulletin board tomorrow morning. All students who are performing at Solo and Ensemble MPA must check the list to ensure all information is correct. Please check the following items: Accompanist(if required, all solos), Personnel, title of piece, arranger of piece, preferred performance date.
- DOOR-2-DOOR: Our annual Door-2-Door fundraiser is fast approaching on Saturday, February 1. This fundraiser is mandatory for all students in the Winter Park Band program, wind, percussion, and color guard. The more ground we can cover, the more funding we can raise! This week, students will sign up with their partner for the day of the fundraiser. Sign up sheets are posted on the window on the Band office. Those groups of two will be placed with another group of two, and will go out into the neighborhoods as a group of four with their parent chaperone driving.
- DOOR-2-DOOR DRIVERS: As you will see below, we are still in need of drivers for Door-2-Door. If you are able to drive, your student will receive another share of the funds raised in addition to the share they will receive for participating. For example, a student share could be anywhere from $70-80. If you volunteer as a chaperone driver, your student would receive an additional $70-80 as fundraiser credit. Thank you in advance for your time!
- UPCOMING PERFORMANCES: Our spring semester is filled with performances by the concert and jazz ensembles, many of which are performances in from of a panel of adjudicators. Please look ahead to the entirety of the Charms calendar and check with your family's calendar if there are any unavoidable conflicts. In many, if not all, cases the conflict can be resolved through communication between the parents and directors. Every student is the only person playing their part, and we need everyone to make the performance the best it can possibly be!
- FINANCES: A financial statement will be sent out this week to all Band families. As always, statements will include any fundraiser credit that a student has to apply to future charges, or any Past Due charges. Even before that statement is sent, please take a moment to log into your Charms account and make sure all information is up-to-date. Any past due balances should be alleviated before Doo-2-Door. Then once credit from Door-2-Door is applied, only a small amount will be due for the final Fair Share payment of this school year. Thank you for your attention to this, and for making timely payments!
Welcome back! Let's have a fun and productive week!
BAND BOOSTER PRESIDENT MESSAGE
Happy New Year! Hopefully, everyone had a restful and relaxing break. It is going to a busy spring semester for the WPHS Band, so please keep an eye on the Charms calendar for updates and changes. The informational meeting for incoming Freshmen and their parents is Tuesday, January 14, 2020, at 7:00 pm at the main campus in the band room. Please pass this information along and encourage any band families you know who have a rising WPHS Freshman band student to attend, even if they do not currently attend a feeder school.
**More drivers are needed for Door 2 Door on February 1. Please sign up on Charms. If you have not sent a copy of your license/insurance, please do so as soon as possible. You may take a picture of it and email it to Heather Ribaric at email@example.com, or you may use the band copier to copy the information and return it to the band office.**
Have a great first week back.
From Mrs. Johnson
Winterguard is off to a great start. Most of the choreography is done, costumes are chosen, and venues are set! This is a time for the team to step up their game and make this the best WPHS team yet!
ATTENDANCE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT-at practice and competitions
Keep up with practice and competition dates/times
Get to practice 10-15 minutes early to help set up
Make sure you know where your equipment is at all times
Come to class ready to work everyday.
Practice at home. Practice at the bus stop. Practice practice practice!
Represent WPHS well day-to-day-not just on the floor.
You all are amazing!
SOLO & ENSEMBLE
Now that students are signed up for the performance option of their choosing for S&E, now the real work begins. Preparation of a solo piece or chamber work is a very individual task, but no one should be preparing their music alone. Seek out help from anyone you can - Mr. Clemente, Mr. Smith, your private lesson teacher, a section leader, your middle school band director, etc. Feedback from someone you trust to be honest with you is invaluable in preparation for S&E.
For those students performing a piece for S&E that requires a piano accompanist, you should be planning to rehearse with them within the next week. Your accompanist needs just as much time to prepare their part as you do to prepare yours, and you need to rehearse performing together as a duet. All students performing a piece with an accompanist should schedule at least 2 rehearsals with you accompanist before your performance at S&E.
January 14: Incoming Freshman Parent and Student Information Meeting, 7 - 8 PM
January 15: Wind Symphony Rehearsal, 1:30 -3 PM
January 18: Winter Guard - FFCC Premiere, Lyman HS
January 20: NO SCHOOL
January 21-25: All-County Band, Winter Park HS
Upcoming Payments Due THIS WEEK:
1/8/20 School Instrument Maintenance Due - $60
1/8/20 Color Guard Fair Share 6 Due - $150
1/8/20 Color Guard Winter Uniform Accessories Package - $60
Payments Past Due:
10/2 Fair Share Payment #3 - $50 (All Students) PAST DUE
10/2 School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance (Some Students) PAST DUE
11/6 Color Guard Fair Share 4 - PAST DUE
12/4 Color Guard Fair Share 5 Due - $150 - PAST DUE
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS PAYMENT SCHEDULE