News from the Nest
August 31, 2018
The Week Ahead
**Week of 9/3**
- NO SCHOOL - Labor Day Holiday
Tuesday 9/4 (Day 4)
- Deadline to Sign Up for the Back to School Bash
Wednesday 9/5 (Day 1)
Thursday 9/6 (Day 2)
- Book Fair (during library)
Friday 9/7 (Day 3)
- Book Fair (during library)
- Back to School Bash, 5:30-7:30 pm. VF Playground
Back to School Bash
Kindergarten students are encouraged to wear their Kindergarten T-shirts so they can easily find their classmates!
PLEASE SIGN UP using this online google form by Tuesday, September 4! We need to know how much pizza to order!
If you have any questions, please contact Jen Scotti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Fair Volunteers Needed
Mrs. Lightstone is in need of volunteers for the Book Fair (9/6-9/14). Please click on the link to the online page and sign up for a morning or afternoon. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Spirit Wear Sale!
Are you ready to show your Vernfield Spirit? The Vernfield Spirit Wear sale is starting now. We are using an online store through our local vendor, Nyce Shirt Company. Tired of the same offerings year after year? This year we mixed it up with some new offerings. In addition to some of our mainstays, check out the boat tote, winter beanie, Ladies Scorecard tee (so adorable!), 18” doll tees, new tie-dye colors, and most exciting – Football Jerseys!
Check out all our Fall items, and then click and pay, all on the same secure website. Please don’t wait until the last minute. Because we know that many of you are anxious to get your hands on some Spirit Wear to start the school year, our online store will close September 11th! We want you to have your Spirit Wear ASAP.
Please allow 2-3 weeks after the sale closes for your purchase(s) to come home with your child. If you would like a paper version of our order form or have any questions, please contact Betsy Powlus at email@example.com or call 215-513-1084.
Volunteering During the School Year - 'Hands Across the District'
At the beginning of each school year, Home & School asks that each parent fill out a 'Hands Across the District' form. This form lists the many ways in which parents can volunteer throughout the school year. THIS FORM INCLUDES HOMEROOM SOCIAL VOLUNTEERS! If you are interested at all or would like more information about a particular committee, please sign up! Signing up allows you to get emails regarding the committee/event, and there is no pressure to participate! A list of committees can be found on the Home & School website.
If you have any questions, please contact Suzanne Kolesar: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
New Procedure for Parent Pick Up
Save the Date!
**Week of 9/10**
- Book Fair - 9/6 - 9/14
Monday 9/10 - NO SCHOOL - Rosh Hashanah
Tuesday 9/11 - Deadline for Spirit Wear Orders (online here)
- ESL Orientation, 6-6:30 pm
- Back to School Night
- Session 1: 6:30-7:10 pm
- Session 2: 7:20-8:00 pm
- Student Council (first day), 8-8:30 am
- Back to School Bash Rain Date, 5:30-7:30 pm
Saturday 9/15 - SASD Big Bash Community Event (see flyer), 10am - 2pm. SAHS
**Week of 9/17**
- Home & School Welcome Back Social for Parents, 6:30-7:00 pm
- Home & School Meeting, 7-8 pm
Wednesday 9/19 - NO SCHOOL - Yom Kippur
Friday 9/21 - Fall Picture Day
Community event! 10am - 2pm at SAHS. See the flyer. Be sure to stop by the Vernfield table and play the 'football toss' game! 3 tries for $1!
**Deadline for Student Image and Work Consents (deadline Sept 28)**
The District has recently revised its policy and guidelines for the use of student images and the publication of student work. Please review these guidelines and indicate your consent for the use of your student’s images and publication of his/her work. Log into the Home Access Center to grant or deny consent: http://www2.soudertonsd.org/parents-students/contact-sm/
**Souderton Area Community Education (SACE) Fall**
REGISTER NOW for Fall Evening Classes with Souderton Area Community Education (SACE)! More than 100 classes offered for community members of all ages, including: Arts, Dance, Cooking, Healthful Living, Sports, Life Planning, Languages, Aquatics, Trips and more. Look through the Fall 2018 Brochure and register online!
Online Vernfield Calendar
Each online calendar app has slightly different instructions to link to a public calendar, but in general, you just open your calendar and add a new calendar using a URL (use the URL below). This is usually easier (or only possible by) using a computer rather than a phone app.
For a Google Calendar, look for a "+" symbol in the left menu above the list of "My Calendars". Choose to add the calendar from a URL and enter the URL below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kelly Cole at email@example.com.
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://shopriteformyschool.com/ register.
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2017-2018 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1467
- Amazon Smile: $163
- Box Tops: $1199
Volunteers can be grouped into two categories:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Please review the details of each type of volunteer on the SASD Volunteer website and fill out the required forms. Program volunteers must also take a PPD skin test for tuberculosis (which can be done privately or by the school nurse). Please contact Mrs. Fox to make an appointment on 10/15, 10/16, or 10/17.
All volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. This must be done each school year. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.