Career Pathways Questions
Guiding Questions for Career Conversations
- What are your main responsibilities as a___________?
- What is a typical day (or week) like for you?
- What do you like most about your job?
- What do you like least about your job?
- What kinds of decisions do you make on a daily basis?
- What are some career paths in this field?
- What education, training, or background is needed for this job?
- How did you become interested in this field?
- What steps would you recommend a person take to prepare to enter this field?
- What skills, abilities, and personal attributes are essential to success in your job?
- If you could do it all over again, would you choose the same path for yourself? If not, what would you change?
- What advice would you give high school students in reference to career exploration?
- Where did you attend college and what was your undergraduate major?
- Is there anything else you think I should know about preparing for a career?