Cavalier News Flash
October 12-23, 2020
A Message From The Principal
I hope that you all took the time to rest during our short intersession break. Students have worked so hard with the support of teachers, peers, and parents and everyone deserves this week of vacation. At CVM, we so believed in it that I did not schedule any intervention classes during the week off. If students chose to do any school work, I hope it is only to catch-up so that they can get a better grade.
Dear students...the first half of the semester saw you adjust to distance learning, navigate the challenges of using a device, learn Google Classroom, Jupiter Grades, and Google Meets, and meet with a teacher before attempting to complete the work. You learned about Office Hours, advocating for yourself, asking questions using the Chat feature, communicating via E-mail, and even using breakout rooms through Teams. You were encouraged to check out Wellness Wednesdays. Your teachers and counselors checked in with you--many times more than once a day. You participated in extracurricular activities online. Your parents and teachers tried to do their best to help you when you encountered challenges. You taught your younger siblings what to do when they went back to school. What a very big learning curve you have been through. Bravo for not giving up.
I want to welcome you back to the second half of the first semester. By now, you have your routines from all your different teachers. You are more familiar with the "how-to's" of your different classes. You have gotten to know your teachers. You are learning the flow.
On our end, we have learned so much too. Your teachers, counselors, and school staff know it is hard work and we are willing to keep on learning so that you will be successful. We do miss you and we truly cannot wait until we see each other again in person and engage in face-to-face learning.
In the meantime, we are committed to becoming better at what we do. On Friday, October 16, all teachers will be engaged in Professional Development. Teachers will meet with their Period 1 students from 9:25-:940 to assign them their asynchronous work that, upon submission, will also be their accountability for attendance for all periods. Students, the work that we will ask you to do is critical in helping us continue in our planning. So please make sure to meet with your Period 1 teacher online on Friday at 9:25 AM.
On to the great news...We have 195 students who have made it to the Cavalier Honor Roll for earning a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 and above in both Scholarship and Citizenship for the first progress report. In addition, we have 138 [current] 8th graders who have made it to the Principal's Honor Roll with their Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 and above in both Scholarship and Citizenship at the end of the second semester of their 7th grade. We will recognize all our honor students as soon as we can get approval for our plan. The names of all our honor roll students will also be featured in our website. I hope that all students continue to work hard. There will be another opportunity to make it to the Cavalier Honor Roll in the second progress report. And remember, you may not have started strong but you can finish strong by earning the 3.5 and above GPA at the end of the semester. Keep on working hard...that's the Cavalier Way!
Have a great week!
Mary Rose Peralta
Second Call for Volunteers: ELAC Officers
WE NEED YOU!
ELAC Officer Interest Form:
School Site Council Meeting
Thursday, Oct. 15th, 3pm
This is an online event.
Principal Peralta is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 759 3729 8968
The agenda for the School Site Council meeting will be as follows:
- Call to Order & Welcome
- Public Comment
- ELAC Update
- Parent Site Representatives (ACTION ITEM)
- Election of DPAC Representative (ACTION)
- Approval of Agenda and Minutes from last SSC meeting (ACTION ITEM)
- Budget Report Update, Addendum to SPSA (ACTION)
- CARES funds
- Principal's Report
- New Business
- DELAC & DPAC Reports
Here are some support that are offered to students who need help to improve or maintain their grades:
- Office Hours for teachers are Monday-Thursday from 8:20-8:50 AM. Students should know how each of their teachers conducts his/her office hours so they can meet with the particular teacher whose class they need help in.
- There are teachers who offer after school tutoring to their students. Teachers make this known to students and parents. Please support your students in attending a tutoring session.
- I encourage students to make good use of the asynchronous time (time that they are not live with their teachers and should do their work; this is between 30-45 minutes each period) to ask questions about their work via E-mail. Many teachers are still logged on and welcome questions from students.
- Students can attend academic hour of Club TC before they engage in their after school activity and they can receive homework assistance.
- Here is a FREE tutoring resource: https://www.tutors4sd.org/
Jupiter Grades is the grading program used by teachers. Before Open House, I emailed parents their user names and passwords. Students already know how to access their grades via Jupiter Grades.
Also, in case you need it, below are job aids on how to access Progress Report 1 grades in Infinite Campus.
From The Library: Textbook Pick-Up
Breakfast and Lunch Distribution Update: No more Barcodes!!
Starting September 15th through December 31st we will return to FREE meal service for anyone in the community 2-18 years old.
**Student barcodes will no longer be required. Each individual will receive a bag containing breakfast, lunch, and fruit (regardless of income eligibility). For the time being, all schools will continue to serve meals on Tuesdays from 11 am – 1 pm (while supplies last). **
If you have not done so yet, please fill out a meal application. Even though everyone will receive meals for free, turning in an application will help your school obtain funding.
Need Help With Registration, Paperwork, or Enrollment?
You can also call (619) 498-6800. We strive to answer every call; but if you reach our voicemail, please leave a message with your name, your student's name, the purpose of your call, the best phone number to reach you, and the best time to call, and one of our staff will call you back--Promise.
Need Access to The Internet at Home? / ¿Necesita acceso a Internet en casa?
- To apply for a free hotspot (you must meet certain qualifications) please click on this link: Internet Access at Home Application
- Attached below is information (in English and Spanish) on Cox's Connect2Compete program for two months of free Internet access:
Help! My iPad is Not Working!
Now That I Have an iPad... / Ahora que tengo un iPad ...
- Eng. 2020-21 iPad Configuration and Password Reset
- Spanish 2020-21 iPad Configuration and Password Reset
- Google Meet for iPad (Directions for Installing)
- Google Classroom for iPad (Directions for Installing)
- G-Suite for Education (link to application)
- Infinite Campus
- Jupiter Grades
Attached below are versions in Spanish:
Join Club TC: After School Program
Club TC is our After School Program. During distance learning, Club TC is OPEN to all students. CVM students will NOT need to fill out enrollment forms to participate in Virtual Club TC. Students will just need to log onto Google Classroom and "Add" the Club TC Virtual Classroom. The Virtual Club TC will be open before school and after school each day. We will offer a variety of activities each day to keep students engaged and participating in our program with our amazing staff.
Virtual Club TC Google Classroom Code: k7qvuas
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Times: 7:00am - 8:20am & 2:30- 5:30pm
Once our students put in the code for our Virtual Club TC Classroom in Google Classroom, they will be able to check out our Virtual Club TC office and program rooms. This is where the staff will meet the students daily for their activities. We encourage ALL students to join the classroom and explore all of the fun activities we have planned for students daily.
WE WILL BE STARTING E-SPORTS! Interested? Reach out to Coach Mark in the Game Room.
Show Cavalier Pride! Have A Great Week of Learning!
We Are Cavaliers!/ ¡Somos Cavaliers!
The mission of Chula Vista Middle School, the academic and artistic center of its community, is to ensure each student will fulfill his or her potential for success through a system of learning distinguished by:
- A rigorous academic learning environment,
- A comprehensive curriculum in the arts,
- A creative, innovative, imaginative and diverse culture,
- A technology-rich environment,
- A celebration of individual and school-wide achievement,
- A culture of school pride and personal responsibility,
- A variety of academic and social support programs and interventions,
- A network of collaboration that build bridges with family, community and educational partners.