Pastry Chef Job Shadowing
By Jacob Eilert
8:30 Am To 10:25 Am
- She took me to the back, and showed me who works where.
- Told me who does what, and where each item is stored.
- Showed me where they stored away the food items.
- We sit down, I ask her about how it's like to work here.
Some Of the Foods I Noticed At The Bakery And Sweets Shop
10:26 Am To 11:00 Am
- Cater brings me to the back where they bake their breads and pastries. She gives me a demo of what it's like to work there, and tells me to watch as she prepares a Chocolate Haupia Pie. (The picture to the left is said pie)
- After that, she puts it in the oven and tells me to go back to the table we last sat in and wait for her there.
- A few minutes later, she comes out with two plates of the pie. As we eat, I ask her questions of how it's like to work in such a busy job.
- At around 11:15 am I left the job shadowing.
- Shows you how it's like to be working behind the kitchen.
- Teaches you that you have to be calm when dealing with job issues rather than getting mad and not fixing the problem.
- Teaches you that being a chef is hard work, and that you have to multitask a lot to get your work done.
- How long it takes to become a master chef, fifteen plus years.
- When you start working, the wage is lower than the minimum.
- It is very possible for you to overwork yourself in this profession, due to how many hours you work in the job.
Why I want to be a Pastry Chef
- I've always loved sweet food.
- preparing and baking food has always been considered calming to me.
- I'd make me feel accomplished, being the only family member to be a chef.
- Everyone in my family has known how to cook, might as well be a professional cook in the family for once.
Requirements for becoming a Patisserie Chef
- At least a High School Diploma, and two to three years of apprenticeship.
- Recommended to go to applied science baking and pastry art programs.
- Many recommended courses for the professions of Pastry Chef.
- Highly recommended to get an official certification, naming you Master Patisserie Chef.
- Takes fifteen to sixteen plus years to be awarded Master Patisserie Chef.
- Takes six years if you do not go to college and only get a high school diploma and apprenticeship.
Wages For Chefs
Study.com. "Dessert and Pastry Chef: Educational Requirements." Study.com.
Study.com, n.d. Web. 11 May 2016.<http://study.com/articles/>.
Cooking School. "Want to Cook up an Education in the Culinary Arts?"
cookingschool.org. Cooking School.org, n.d. Web. 11 May 2016.