School Board Update: 4/9/19 Meeting
Iowa City Community School District Board Meeting Summary
Discussion: 2019-20 Budget Reductions
Superintendent Murley reviewed an updated draft of the proposed budget savings by category including:
- District Administrator Staff Reduction/Restructure
- Early Retirement Program Savings
- Resignation Savings
- Weighted Resource Allocation Model (WRAM) Elementary Certified Staffing Reductions
- Secondary Certified Staffing Reductions
- Teacher Library Staffing Reductions
- Building Budget Supply Allocation Reduction
- Third Party Partner Contract Reductions
- Reduction of positions not people
- Agriculture education program
- South East orchestra reduction
- Earth & Space Science
- First time seeing actual breakdown in secondary reductions
- Concern about equity with the reduction to orchestra at South East
- Achieving equity without reduction in force is difficult to do
Suggested opportunities for savings in the following areas:
- District travel
- Physical Plant
- Legal representation
- Extra-curricular activities
Discussion also included the SYNESI report and the importance of equity for students.
Grant Elementary Update
The Iowa City Community School District values transparency and community involvement. A key factor is for stakeholders to understand and stay up to date with the work of the School Board and the District's administration team.
The School Board Update is a communication tool that summarizes the discussions and actions taken by the Iowa City Community School District Board of Directors during their meetings. It does not cover every agenda item.
Complete meeting minutes and meeting agendas are available through BoardDocs. Board meeting broadcasts are streamed live on the District’s YouTube channel and replayed on City Channel 4 each Monday night at 8:30 pm. Past school board meeting videos can be found on the YouTube channel, as well as in BoardDocs.