This Is How We Lakeview
October Edition - Volume 3
Planning for November 16th
This past Monday, the Pickerington Board of Education approved a 4 day plan (keeping Wednesday as a virtual learning day until Christmas break) for all students to return to school starting on November 16th. While we do not have all the answers, we are working with our staff and the district office to have everything in place for students to return to the building. Over the next few weeks, we will be providing families and students with information on what this looks like. Please keep in mind that this is not a return to "normal" and safety procedures and protocols that were put in place to start the school year will continue. Please reach out to anyone in the main office if you have questions or concerns, we are ready to help!
Remember to double check with your student that they are checking in for attendance on their virtual days and to check the Classroom Information Page (linked at the bottom of this newsletter) so that you know what they have coming up. There is also still time to schedule Parent/teacher conferences for October 22nd or November 3rd.
Parents of VLA students, if you have not yet picked up your ELA novel (and trimester 1 art supplies) please call the Lakeview main office to arrange a time to pick this up. We will be in the office until 7:00 pm on October 22nd if you cannot make it during normal school hours.
Congratulations to our Lakeview Values Winners!
PLSD To Move To Green Status Level Nov. 16, 2020
Dear Pickerington family,
We’ve condensed the information that you need to know about updates to PLSD’s Learning Plan as approved by the Board of Education during their meeting on Monday, October 12. Below are the key points from that meeting regarding the move to the Green Status Level:
Change to four (4) days per week in-person instruction (Monday,Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) beginning November 16, 2020 for students in the Hybrid Cohorts. We will continue to utilize the protocols and procedures as developed in the Flexible Learning Plan 2.0 for day-to-day cleaning and sanitizing, wearing masks, washing hands, etc. We will continue to socially distance to the maximum extent possible.
- On Wednesdays, all students will learn virtually to allow teachers time for instructional planning, student “check-in” and professional development, and to continue our additional cleaning protocols.
NOTE: We are working on what options may exist for students in VLA to transition to face-to-face instruction at the K-6 level on November 16; and/or, we are looking at ways for students to transition from in-person instruction to VLA at grades K-6 only.
- We are aware of challenges with large group settings like buses, class changes/hallways, lunch rooms, co-curricular classes, etc., and will be working to meet these challenges.
- All staff would be given a medical grade surgical mask each day. Additionally, each staff member has been given re-usable face shields. With this PPE in place, staff members would not need to quarantine if noted as being a close contact of a COVID-19 positive individual.
- We will continue to monitor cases, and know that we are able to adapt and adjust to Status Level Yellow (Hybrid), if needed.
- During Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks, the leadership team will set aside time to assess the situation, digest data and determine how Status Level Green is going at PLSD.
- We are asking families to be extra diligent over Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks, specifically considering their social and holiday gatherings (i.e., avoid large gatherings when possible; wear masks; keep 6′ social distancing, etc.). These gatherings are currently being identified by State Authorities as one of the main sources of community spread.
- Our hope is to then transition to five days per week at the beginning of the 2nd semester, and to have a plan for students in grades 7-12 to transition from VLA to in-person instruction, or from in-person instruction to VLA at that time for grades 7-12, if desired by the parent(s)/guardian(s), and if classroom space allows for the transfer. This will be decided at a later time by our leadership team.
- We have discussed the plan with Joe Mazzola, the Franklin County Health Commissioner, and Alex Jones, Assistant Health Commissioner/Director of Prevention and Wellness, who handles the infectious disease tracing for COVID-19 in Franklin County. They have noted that they are having these same conversations with many school districts in the Columbus area.
If you missed the Board of Education meeting on Monday, here is the link to the video.
Highlights from the Flexible Learning Plan 2.0
This week is parent/guardian expectations. This section of the plan is included below but here are some of the highlights:
- Continue to conduct wellness checks - please keep your student home if they are not feeling well
- Send your student to school with a face mask
- Make sure that your contact information is updated in Infinite Campus
- Read all communication from the school district
- If students are arriving late, walk them to the door and push the intercom to let the office know they need to be let in
- If you need to check a student out early, please call the main office and someone will walk the student out to you
There is still time to schedule a parent-teacher conference
Hot Topic- Organization and Time Management
Hello! Starting in October, we will be introducing our Hot Topic lessons based on
the identified needs for students. Hot Topics will appear through a newsletter,
bulletin board, and lunch & learn presentation. For this months’ Hot Topic,
interns/school counselors will be educating students on the importance of
organization and time management. To find out more information about this Hot
Topic, please access the link: Organization & Time Management Hot Topic
For students who would be interested in the organization and time management
lunch & learn presentation, please fill out the brief information in the link: Lunch
VLA tips and tricks for families
Please use the following link to join the presentation.
The Presentation will begin promptly at 6:00 PM and will last no longer than a half hour.
Positive COVID-19 procedures
- A letter is sent to the entire building (both cohorts) stating there is a confirmed case
- A classroom letter is sent to any person who is in class with the individual
- The building calls and emails anyone who is considered to be in close contact with the individual with specific instructions on next steps. The county health department may also follow up with these individuals
Families who do not receive a personal phone call are deemed to not be at risk based on contact tracing guidelines for the case in question
Picture Retakes/Make Up Days
*Pay online with an electronic check, debit card, credit card, or PayPal.
If you missed school pictures, the make up dates are October 27th and 29th.
Order your Yearbook today!
Since the number of spectators are limited, the yearbook staff needs your help with photos. Please upload any photos of Lakeview Jr High students that you take at any Lakeview events this school year. Access code is panthers.
Link for purchasing yearbooks and for uploading photos:
Cheerleading for basketball
Cheerleading basketball clinics/tryouts will be as follows:
November 5 and 10, 2020 from 5:30-7:00pm at Lakeview Jr. High in the gymnasium. Both dates are required.
Here is the link for more information about trying out for cheerleading basketball. (https://sites.google.com/plsd.us/phsn-ljh-cheerleading/jh-basketball-clinictryout?authuser=0)
Winter Athletics is gearing up
Technology support hours are changing!
Starting in the month of October, the Technology Department will be adjusting their support hours to better serve students in both cohorts as well as our virtual learners. Beginning on October 5th, we will follow the below schedule each week for the month of October:
Mondays - 1:30pm to 3:30pm
Wednesdays - 9:00am to 11:00am
Fridays - 1:30pm to 3:30pm
We will still be at our Heritage location, and please continue to sign up for service using the Google Form. This helps us know how many folks we will need to prepare for.
Please note the location for tech support hours is Heritage Auditorium - you must use doors P and O (not District Office or The Elementary School).
Free Breakfast and Lunch for the entire school year
Weekly Sign up for Meals on Virtual Days
Virtual Learning Academy link - https://forms.gle/GDUD99SzVPxeKmG66
Cohort A link https://forms.gle/M3tMsDDnUdk12PWq8
Cohort B link https://forms.gle/51mAnzb5Mqbjs9Xv7