SOMSD BOARD OF EDUCATION UPDATE
2021-22 SY | Vol. 1 Issue 1 - BOE NEWSLETTER | May 25, 2021
Highlights from the May 17, 2021 Regular Session Board of Education Meeting
The District will begin sharing a monthly newsletter with the SOMSD community to keep you informed and to provide a recap of key action items discussed and approved by the Board of Education during their monthly regular Public Session meetings. The BOE meeting recap newsletter will be shared within one week from the date of the regular session BOE meeting (and will only be provided for regular-session Board meetings).
Board President's Monthly Statement
The school board meeting is a business meeting in public and not a meeting with the public. Oftentimes it may appear to members of our audience that the Board of Education takes action with very little comment and in many cases a unanimous vote. Before a matter is placed on the agenda at a public meeting, the Administration has thoroughly reviewed the matter with the Superintendent of Schools/Chief School Administrator (CSA). If the Superintendent of Schools/Chief School Administrator is satisfied that the matter is ready to be presented to the Board of Education, it is then referred to the appropriate Board Committee. The Members of the Board Committee work with Administration and the Superintendent to assure that the members fully understand the matter. After the committee discusses the matter, it is presented to the full Board for discussion before any action is taken. Only then, is it placed on the agenda for action at a public meeting.
- Board Recognitions CHS student named National Merit Scholarship Winner, CHS Named One of the Most Influential Public High Schools, CHS Parnassian Society’s performance, Duplicity receives several nominations to Montclair State University's Theatre Night "Foxy" Awards and more.
- Superintendent's Update: Presentation of SSDS Report - By law, all N.J. public school districts (including charter schools) must use the Student Safety Data System (SSDS) to report all incidents of violence, vandalism, weapons, substance abuse, and HIB incidents that occur in their schools.
Key Action Items
Board approved Affirmation of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) Investigations for the Month of April 2021
South Orange Maplewood Board of Education Approved a Resolution to Create a Task Force to Protect Students From Sexual Harassment And Violence
- Full list of action items and associated resolutions available here.
- 2362 Library/Media Center
- 2415.02 Title I Fiscal Responsibilities
- 2530 Resource Materials
- 5533 Use of Tobacco Products
- 5756 Transgender and Nonbinary Students
- 6112 Reimbursement of Federal or Other Grant Expenditures
- 6311 Contracts for Goods and Services Funded by Federal Grants
- 7441 Electronic Surveillance on School Buildings and on School Grounds
Approved Budget Presentations (from May 3 BOE Meeting)
South Orange & Maplewood School District
The mission of the South Orange Maplewood School District is to empower and inspire each student to explore and imagine, to pursue personal passions, and to collectively create a better future by creating a learner-centered environment through multiple pathways; reimagined structures, systems and supports; innovative teaching; partnering with families; and maximizing community expertise and resources.