Central Heights Band Newsletter
January 19, 2023
- Solo Night (Thurs. 2/9), SIGN UP NOW!
- 7th Grade Field Trip, Thursday 1/26
- Volunteers Needed - WSMA Solo & Ensemble, 2/11
- Jazz Updates (First performance - Wednesday 2/1 @ Family Night)
- Concert - Tuesday 2/28 @ Central Heights
- Course Schedules next Year
Solo Night - Thursday February 9th (Graded Performance)
All Central Heights Band students are working on a short solo as part of their 3rd Band Assessment. Students will perform their solo and receive a mini lesson/critique from guest clinicians that we bring in. This is a required and important event and moment for all band students.
- Sign up for a 10 minute performance slot sometime between 3:35 - 6:30pm
- Parents/Caregivers are welcome to attend, but not required
- This is a casual event and students can wear normal school clothes
- If you have scheduling conflicts, please let me know ASAP and we'll reserve a time that works for you and/or come up with alternate performance plans
SIGN-UP LINK: HERE
Find a 10 minute time that works for you (leave time to get here a bit early to warm-up and at end for quick reflection)
- Rooms #1 & #2, Flute & Clarinet Only
- Room #3 - Trumpet & Horn
- Room #4 - Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- Room #5 - Saxophone & ANY overflow
- Room #6 - Percussion (15 minute slots to all for mallet & snare solo)
*NOTE - students signed up for Saturday 2/11 Solo & Ensemble will not sign up for this event. See email from Mr. Melrose on 1/19 with Draft Schedule #1. Conflicts need to be reported by Monday 1/23.
Course Scheduling, 2023 - 2024
We sincerely encourage and hope for all students to continue their music studies next year. Year #1 of Central Heights Bands has been great, AND...we're excited to keep growing in both enrollment and opportunities.
If you/your student is having trouble fitting Band into their schedule, please reach out and we can problem-solve together.
7th Grade Field Trip - Thursday 1/26
Schedule for Thursday 1/26:
8:20am - students report to the Band Room
8:50am - clinics w/ Guest Clinician & SP West Wind Ensemble
11:40 - Performances (PV, PM, & CH)
12:15pm - Lunch @ Central Heights (students can buy school lunch or bring their own. Melrose will provide ice cream sundaes!)
- $5 is posted in Infinite Campus
we could still use 1 - 2 more. Join us for a relaxing morning and a chance to get "behind the scenes" of what makes band possible. You can join us for some dessert too...!
Volunteers Needed - WSMA Solo & Ensemble @ Central Heights
On Saturday February 11th Central Heights will welcome hundreds of Sun Prairie music students and families as they participate in the annual WSMA Solo & Ensemble.
Please consider how you could help through donating food for judges & concession or donating your time as a door monitor, concessions worker, or office helper.
Go here to sign-up and get more info:
Jazz students are REALLY start to take off - thank you for the early morning help!
**Wednesday February 1st**, Central Heights Family Night!
5pm - Warm-Up in Band Room
5:30pm - Perform (Fiddle Club also plays)
6:00pm - All done (stay, eat pizza, and participate!)
Friday March 3rd, SP Middle School Jazz Festival
- Clinic w/ guest artist, 3:35 - 5pm
- 5pm - Pizza Dinner
- 6:30pm - Concert w/ Patrick Marsh, Prairie View, & Guest Artists
Friday April 14, Swing Into Spring Jazz Extravaganza @ Prairie View
Next Concert - Tuesday February 28th & Central Heights
CHMS February Concert – Tuesday February 28th
For this concert, we will be combining with Central Heights Orchestra and showcasing some student small ensembles as well.
- 6:30pm, 6th Grade Band & Orchestra
- 7:30pm, 7th & 8th Grade Band & Orchestra
- Central Heights Middle School Auditorium
Band Calendar & Upcoming Dates
Linked above is our calendar for the year. Please communicate in as much advance as possible with any conflicts and reach out if you have any questions.
Thursday February 9, Central Heights Solo Night, 3:45 - 6:30pm
Saturday February 11, WSMA Solo & Ensemble @ Central Heights
Tuesday February 14, Piano Solo Night @ SP East
Tuesday February 28, Central Heights Band & Orchestra Combined Concert
Friday March 3, SP Middle School Jazz Festival (after school, 6:30pm Concert)
Band Lesson & Practice Tips
Every band student will receive a weekly private lesson for about 10 minutes with Mr. Melrose or Mr. Metcalf (part-time music teacher).
Want to know if how students are doing in their lesson?
- get connected to Google Classroom (if not already, send me an email & I'll get you connected)
SOLO Practice Tips:
- Do 50/50 practice - 50% of practicing just the really tough parts, 50% doing run throughs and focusing on big picture
- Find professional recordings, listen, and try to imitate what makes them sound good
- Practice playing for people, pets, and stuffed animals (who knows, maybe Toy Story is real?!?!!!!)
- 7th & 8th grade have new mallets & sticks to order. Check pg. 2 of the above document
- NEED HELP? Just ask.
How to order:
- Click button below "Ward-Brodt - Supplies"
- Select "Central Heights - Band"
- Select Instrument