Week Of November 21, 2016 to November 25, 2016 (Wk12)
"THE FOUNDATION OF SPARTAN ACADEMY" - "WHERE STUDENTS SUCCEED AND FUNCTION WITH BEHAVIORAL NORMS"
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class. Lesson plans are due every Friday.
- Please remember to highlight the JFF Strategies Common Instructional Framework Strategies on your lesson plan and implement them in your classroom: Questioning, Scaffolding, Classroom Talk, Literacy Groups, Collaborative Group Work, and Writing to Learn.
- Lesson plans will be posted outside your door beginning in October.
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance. More Logs are available at your request.
Remember to only use the attendance on the home page of ASPEN. Please, update any tardy students in ASPEN when they arrive late!
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Usage of the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
- Always lock up all personal items
- DO NOT give students building keys for any reason.
- DO NOT open doors for staff. Side entrance will be locked by 8 AM each day. After 8 AM only use the front door entrance.
- Restricted Movement means Restricted Movement! No one is to move when a Restricted Movement Notice has been given. Students nor staff are permitted to be in the hall way. It is for your safety!
- DO NOT purchase snacks for students out of the vending machines.
- DO NOT block a door if a student is trying to leave. Alert your team leader, behavior specialist or security.
- DO NOT encourage students to leave you room. If you need a student removed, ask your team leader, behavior specialist or security.
- DO NOT deny students entrance into class if they are late.
- Please place notification on your door if you are relocating your classroom.
- In order for a student to leave the classroom - 1. you must grant them permission, 2. a pass must be given to the student, 3. time frame expectation must be communicated to the student
Strengthening the Craft of Teaching and Learning
Jobs for the Future focus strategy for November 14th - December 2nd:
Classroom Talk creates the space for students to articulate their thinking and strengthen their voice. Classroom Talk takes place in pairs, in Collaborative Group Work, and as a whole class. As students become accustomed to talking in class, the teacher serves as a facilitator to engage student in higher levels of discourse. teachers introduce and reinforce the use of academic language and encourage students to use that language in their classrooms.
TestNav 8 Updates to Mathematics Tools Practice Items
TestNav 8 conversions to the Mathematics Tools Practice Items are currently in progress. A completion date will be communicated through a mathematics update when the items become available. TestNav 8 SOL Practice Items are currently available for Grades 3 – 8, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.
Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) for Grades 4 and 5 MathematicsThis Superintendent’s Memo provides information regarding the transition between static and computer adaptive testing for Grades 4 and 5 Mathematics beginning Spring 2017. Please note that revised SOL Testing Blueprints for CAT are now posted, as well as additional CAT resources. If you try to view the new blueprints and see the “original” version, please clear your Web browser’s cache and history.
Superintendent’s Memo #244-16
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
September 23, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework
On September 22, 2016, the Board of Education adopted the Proposed Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Proposed Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework for public schools in Virginia (see Agenda Item D). The final version of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the 2016Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework will be posted on the Virginia Department of Education's website no later than December 31, 2016.
The 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning identify academic content for essential components of the mathematics curriculum at different grade levels for Virginia's public schools. The 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework, a companion document to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning, amplifies the standards and further defines the content knowledge, skills, and understandings that are measured by the Standards of Learning assessments.
The implementation timeline for the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework follows:The implementation timeline for the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework
2016-2017 School Year – Crosswalk between 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- VDOE staff provides a crosswalk between the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning.
- School divisions incorporate the new standards into local written curricula for inclusion in the taught curricula during the 2017-2018 school year.
2017-2018 School Year – Crosswalk Year
- 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning are included in the written and taught curricula.
- Spring 2018 Standards of Learning assessments measure the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2016Mathematics Standards of Learning.
2018-2019 School Year – Full-Implementation Year
- Written and taught curricula reflect the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning.
- Standards of Learning assessments measure the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning.
Recognizing that curriculum alignment efforts require planning, time, staff development, and resources, school divisions should begin to:
- review and align mathematics curricula with the revised standards;
- review current resource materials and correlate them with the revised standards;
- develop new materials where needed; and
- provide staff development for teachers.
If you are in the process of planning professional development in mathematics, please consider using all or parts of the VDOE mathematics professional development resources available. The resources from the 2012, 2013, and 2014 institutes were designed as self-guided professional development for teams of teachers (grade level or course), broken into modules that are rarely longer than 40 or 45 minutes in length. Parts of these professional development modules could be used/modified to create division-level professional development.
Online Technical Assistance Resources
The Virginia Department of Education’s website includes multiple resources to assist focus schools with meeting the needs of identified proficiency gap groups.
- English Language Learners (ELL) Instructional resources: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/esl/index.shtml
- Special Education Instructional resources: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/special_ed/tech_asst_prof_dev/index.shtml
- Differentiated Technical Assistance resources: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/school_improvement/training/index.shtml
Please use the link and password below to access a tutorial for NoRedInk Premium. Pass this along to your English department for those who did not attend training.
Link to video library: https://vimeo.com/album/4159266
Password (please do not circulate outside of RPS): bDpfVamg6yq!
Please let me know if you need any additional assistance with the program.
click the box above to access the article regarding two different approaches/beliefs to dealing with problem behaviors
"Less Than 100 and 80" days to make a difference in the lives of our students"
Monday - November 21, 2016
Word of the Day: Engender - cause
PD - 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Media Center
Tuesday – November 22, 2016
Word of the Day: Hangar - storage area
Thanksgiving Luncheon - 12:30 p.m. - schedule forthcoming
Wednesday -November 23, 2016
Thursday - November 24, 2016
No School- HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Friday –November 25, 2016
Concerns and Updates
Algebra Readiness Diagnostic Test (ARDT) will not be available until Monday, November 28th. VDOE is working with Pearson to update the ARDT assessment; hence the delay. The ARDT assessment should be administered to students in grades 5 through 8, Algebra Functions and Algebra I
Proposed Revised English Standards of Learning
2016 Mathematics SOL Crosswalk Documents Now Available
Crosswalk documents for the approved 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework are now available for each grade level and course. The Crosswalks provide a summary of revisions including the additions, deletions, and edits. It provides educators the opportunity to review the 2009 Mathematics SOL alongside the newly adopted 2016 Mathematics SOL.
SOL-Based Lesson plan for 2016 Civics Summit Registrationhttp://apps.senate.virginia.gov/civicsSummit/CS2016registrationform.html
The VDOE website has invaluable lesson plans along with practice problems for students to improve math skills. Click on the following link for lesson plans for all Algebra Readiness grade levels: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/mathematics/middle/algebra_readiness/curriculum_companion/index.shtml
- WORKKEYS assessment - Reading and Writing - Alternative Assessment - Testing Window October 24
- In spring 2016, the Standards of Learning (SOL) history tests contained multiple choice and technology-enhanced field test items that assessed the current 2008 History & Social Science Standards of Learning. In spring 2017, the SOL history tests will contain multiple choice and technology-enhanced field test items that assess the revised 2015 History & Social Science Standards of Learning. In order to support student preparation for technology-enhanced items (TEI) that may appear on history assessments, sets of practice items have been developed and will be delivered via electronic Practice Assessment Tools (ePAT).
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Common Planning Time will begin the first week of October. Day and time to be announced!
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!
6-Sessions All About Google
Learn how easy it is to use Google tools for any classroom.
- Find the Google tools every teacher needs in their digital toolkit
- Collaborate anytime and anywhere with Google Drive and Docs
- Overcome group project issues with Presentations and Spreadsheets
- Take the complication out of formative assessment with Google Forms
- Discover the best Chrome Apps for your classroom
- Go beyond the basics with your class using Google Drawings and Slides
click link below ---
If you are completing your lesson plans in Google Docs, this is the Google Doc to make a copy of and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
If you are completing your lesson plans in Microsoft Word, this the the Word Doc to download and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!