Holy Name of Mary, November 23, 2018
We had another great week at Holy Name, despite the icy chill in the weather and the full moon rising! Thank you to everyone for your participation and collaboration in today's professional learning activities. It was great to hear such supportive and honest discussions about Fundamental Math and Financial Literacy. We are blessed to have such a great team.
Have a great weekend!
Caroline & Pascale
Great teaching strategies
I didn't get around to take as many pictures as I wanted to this week, so thank you to the teachers who shared some of the things I missed! If you've got great activities happening in your classroom, give us a call. We love seeing what you are doing and watching you and your kids in action!
Kids Help Phone
Rachel prepared a great presentation on Kids Help Phone for our Grade 7 & 8 students on Monday. Despite some serious technical difficulties, she showed flexibility and carried right on with the presentation.
Qui a peur?
Lucie's Grade Ones were learning to make predictions and inferences this week as she read them one of her favourite books called "Qui a peur?". It was great to see them thinking critically and coming up with ideas of what might be coming up on the next page.
Karen's students built animal enclosures using marshmallows and toothpicks this week. These two boys came up with some pretty fancy structures!
Kids Help Phone
Qui a peur?
Ron started a Music Club in his classroom this week on Thursday at lunch. Kids got to come and jam on all of his cool instruments: guitars, ukuleles, drums and keyboards! Thank you to Ron for providing students with this amazing experience.
Shannon is super lucky to have a firefighter dad in her class this year! He came for a visit with all of his gear and then insisted that she put it on for a class photo.
STEM in action
Gen and Sara Reid brought their Grade 6's to ADHS for a morning of STEM activities that were brought in by the Ontario Science Centre. Students had a blast trying out all of the cool experiments!
The Week Ahead
Monday, November 26
- Cathy out (Natalie Holmes)
- Jillian out (am only) (Christine Provost)
- Miranda Wilby (student teacher) starting in Sara Reid's class
- Peter out (Tara Miller)
- Caroline and Pascale meeting at 9:30am
- JK/SK/Gr. 2 Dental Screening
- Grade 7 & 8 needles
- Progress Reports go home
- Susan Newsham in to volunteer
- Safety plan meeting for DT @ 3:30pm
Tuesday, November 27
- Gina out (pm only) (John Murray)
- Jillian out (pm only) (Jenna Sweeney)
- Kris out (Christine Provost)
- Julie out (pm only) (Jennifer Bowler)
- Karen B out (Kevin Hogan)
- Sara H out (Marina Rigakis)
- Lauren at Board Office all day
- Christy Drake in for Tier 2 testing
- Caroline and Pascale meeting at 1:00pm
- Constable Streng in
Wednesday, November 28
- Sara H out (Anne Gallant)
- Gen out (pm only) (Jennifer Bowler)
- SIP Day (Jenn Brown in. Mary and Erin in meetings all day, therefore no in-class support)
- Claire Dulmage in for assessment
- Special Education meeting @ 8:15
- November Mass @ 10:00am
- Subway Day
- Constable Streng in (OPP Kids)
- MSM meeting @ 3:15
Thursday, November 29
- Christine Cox in to work in the library
- Jessica Norris in
- Ron out (am) (Christine Provost)
- Pizza Day
- Parent-Teacher interviews from 4:00-7:30. Supper from 3:30-4:00
- Constable Streng in (am)
Friday, November 30
- Clubs Day
- Mary out
- Popcorn Day
- Toonies for Tuition Pyjama Day
- Steve out (Christine Provost)
- Sara Reid out (pm) (Jenna Sweeney)
- Jillian out (am only)