Elements of Historical Fiction
Historical Fiction will focus on characters, plot, setting, theme, events, problems, that mirror real life. It based on real life historical events, but some characters may never have existed. The setting is a previous historical time and place.
- There is a mixture of real and fictional events. Significant historical events are historically accurate, but minor events and/or charaters may be added or modified.
- Characters are involved in a conflict or problem that is real (or mirrors life) for that time period
- Uses descriptive writing that digs into characters making them interesting and are easy to identify with.
- Intriguing plot that creates some sort of suspense.
- Plot makes sense and has a solution.
- Historically authentic setting that sets the tone for the story.
- Is in a real place and a definite period of time in history that the reader wants to know more about.
- Author usually uses foreshadowing or clues to tease the reader/listener's curiosity.
- Some events include historical events, dialogue, period thoughts, historical accurate, but not all information is authentic. Characters and dialog if made up needs to fit the historical aspects.
- Dialog, artifacts, feelings, are from the real world and described accurately.
- The story must be told with significant detail to place the reader/listener in the historical setting
Michael Jackson - Heal the World - Live by jarodmultimedia
Digital Learning Coach