LHISD Updates and Board Briefs
Board Briefs 8.17.20
We had a great August Board meeting Monday night. Here are the highlights:
Public Hearing on the 2020-2021 Budget/Tax Rate. LHISD CFO Rosanna Guerrero presented a balanced budget for board consideration and proposed the tax rate for both Maintenance and Operations and the Interest and Sinking portion of the budget. Highlights of the budget included:
- Lowering the M&O taxes by 11 cents.
- A balanced budget of $47 Million
- Increasing salaries by 1%
- Increasing daily rates for substitute teachers
- Earmarked Funds – Library, Instructional Technology, Professional Development, Career & Technology
- Creating a Fine Arts budget allocation to help with band instruments and Color Guard.
- COVID-19 budget allocation to maintain Health and Safety Protocols.
- Animal Science teacher Ms. Callie McCullough was recognized for receiving the Outstanding New Teacher of the Year (1-5yrs experience) from the Agriculture Teacher's Association. Way to go Ms. McCullough!
- K-9 unit Nosek and Officer Wolf were introduced to the School Board and recognized for passing his certification with the National Narcotic Dog Detection Association. The Board was excited and looks forward to the student education and community opportunities this duo will bring to LHISD.
Great things happening in LH! #championmindset
Information and Updates
- Mr. Snell presented ISD updates on enrollment and return to school items.
Strategic Planning Update. The final meeting is on September 10th at a location still TBD. We will offer the opportunity to attend either or person or virtually. This meeting allows for a presentation of the final plan and action plans to the Board on Sept. 21.
Education Foundation. Meetings continue and progress is being made. Deadlines were set for grant distribution in the spring. Three new board members were added, bringing the total to 23. Any non-virtual fundraisers will not start until the spring.
Student devices are scheduled to arrive on Thursday (all 810). Technology will start to distribute next week.
- Dr. Hicks presented an Update on CTE Online Certifications.
- Dr. Hicks presented updates to the high school course catalog (Computer Science II and Project-Based Research).
- Dr. Hicks presented an update on Career and Technical Education. New class Construction Trades.
- Casey Sledge presented a construction update. All projects are on schedule and Santa Rita Elementary is complete and ready for day one.
- The board approved the 2020-2021 Balanced Budget of $47,339,608.
- The board approved Lowering the Tax Rate to $1.36
- The board approved the hire of Molly Dwight, Art Teacher at Ranch Sienna.
LHISD Board Approved Lower Tax Rate!
Recent History of LHISD property Tax Rate
- 2018-2019 (M&O) $1.04 + (I&S) $0.50 Total of $1.54
- 2019-2020 (M&O) $0.97 + (I&S) $0.50 Total of $1.47
- 2020-2021 (M&O) $0.8647 + (I&S) $0.50 Total of $1.3647
The LHISD Board approves the tax rate while the Williamson Central Appraisal District (WCAD) sets the appraisal value. Property taxes are based on the appraisal value multiplied by the tax rate.
Callie McCullough Recognized as an Outstanding Educator by the Agriculture Teacher's Association
Officer Wolf introduced LHISD new Canine Officer Nosek
COVID-19 Planning Timeline
- Complete. July 15. Present plans to health officials, school nurses, and logistical professionals to get an expert look at the safety protocols for staff and students.
Complete. July 20. Present plans to the school board
Complete. July 22 and 23. Present plans to the District Leadership Team and work through specific logistics of safety and learning.
Complete. July 22. Send plans to all staff to review and give input.
Complete. July 22. Send plans to William County Health Authorities for input.
Complete. July 29 & 31. Community groups work through specific campus-based safety logistics.
Complete. August 5 & 6th - Principals will conduct a virtual town hall for their students and families.
Complete. Teachers scheduled to report to work in person. PPE required.
Complete. Student Learning Choice Selection in Skyward Family Access.
August 27th - School start date
Current Learning Choice Numbers
Technology Department- DEVICE DISTRIBUTION
Pick up days are by alpha- the student's last name.
A-F - Monday, 8/24
G-N - Tuesday, 8/25
O-Z - Wednesday, 8/26
ALL STUDENTS who chose the on-campus learning plan will receive or exchange their devices in the first week of school. Emails went out to parents last night 8/18 on device distribution, please check your emails.
Please email Evelyn McLeod at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to change your choice. Please include your students' name, ID number, and whether you want AM or PM transportation or both AM and PM transportation.
Child Nutrition Services
New Parent Guidebook Resource Available
Teacher Supply Lists
As we start this school year we are wanting to streamline the process of how people or businesses can donate supplies to teachers. Our campus principals will be working with their campus PTO/PPO organizations to provide the extra supplies that teachers may request.
If you have donations that involve more than one campus, please call the central office for that process.
To ensure equity in all classrooms and to follow the district guidelines we are asking our teachers not to put their amazon wish lists or requests on social media or promote publicly, they will all go through the principal for approval.
As always, thank you for supporting LHISD! #LHinthistogether #buildingchampions
Champions for our students, staff and community video!!
Have you seen the New ConnectED Magazine?
The magazine covers several stories from the spring school closure and highlights several aspects of the district.