Friendship Family Newsletter
Principal Andrea Simmons & Asst. Principal Luz Rivera
October 1, 2018
Happy October! The school year is in full swing and there are many exciting things happening at TFS! We kick off inquiry-based learning with the theme "Who We Are," which helps us to get to know each child, and for each child to get to know their friends, too. Based on the interests expressed in class and shared by families, classes are moving into different units such as dinosaurs, doctors, changes in the fall, or diving deeper into what makes us similar and different. We are proud that students lead the learning. We are excited that some of our families are able to come in as guest speakers to help with this learning!
Please see below for photos of students and teachers in action and important information. We are so appreciative of your partnership and support, and hope that you will reach out to your child's teacher or school leadership to find out how you can participate in this learning or if you have any questions or feedback for us.
Andrea Simmons & Luz Rivera
- Beginning on October 29, The Friendship School will host our annual Scholastic Book Fair. This is a huge fundraiser for our library! Please consider purchasing books (bilingual titles available too) for your family or your child's classroom to help with this fundraiser. Please contact assistant principal Luz Rivera if you are interested in volunteering for our book fair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recently, we sent home a document highlighting the most important portions of our Student & Family Handbook and asked you to sign that you have read the handbook. It can be found online at www.thefriendshipschool.org under "Resources." The handbook has important information about our food policy and attendance, including information about on-time arrival and alternate dismissal for appointments.
- The Friendship Family Organization (FFO) is our parent-teacher organization and will meet for the second time this year on Thursday, November 8. Dinner is at 5:00 and the meeting is at 5:30. Childcare is free and the dinner is as well! The FFO partners with the school and community to raise money for the school, provide important services for our students, and plan fun events! Please contact Dennis Disch, FFO President, or any board member via email: email@example.com. Any family members are welcome!
- Please consider signing up for Shoparoo! Download the app on your phone or tablet and enter our school. Take photos of your grocery receipts and earn cash for our school! Mrs. Simmons personally challenges each family to earn more points, because together, we earn more!
- Thank you to those family members who have volunteered to assist with taking an inventory of books in our library and other volunteer opportunities around the school. We truly appreciate it!
- On November 17, we are very excited to host our 2nd Annual Artisan & Crafter Market! All money from space rentals funds The Friendship School's inquiry-based learning curriculum. The event is free for guests and is a wonderful time for holiday shopping! We also have children's activities and food trucks! We hope you are able to join us. Q-105 will be broadcasting live, and a variety of community partners will be at the Market providing fun and engaging activities for kids! If you are an artisan or crafter, please fill out the form available on our website. If you have a food truck, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are several exciting school and community events happening that we are happy to share with you in the important dates below.
- Wednesday, October 3 - LEARN Open Forum for Parents of Students with Disabilities 9:30 - 11:00 am or 6:30 - 8:00 pm. 44 Hatchetts Hill Rd, Old Lyme.
- Saturday, October 6 - Harvest Fest at Waterford Beach Park 12:00 - 4:00 (Waterford Recreation & Parks event)
- Monday, October 8 - No School (Columbus/Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Saturday, October 13 - Touch-A-Truck event at McCook Point Park, Niantic 9:00 - 2:00
Tuesday, October 16 - Back to School Night (Open House) 5:30 - 7:00
- Saturday, October 27 - Trunk or Treat (time TBA)
Monday, October 29 - Hispanic Heritage Night 5:00 - 7:00 & Scholastic Book Fair begins!
Thursday, November 8 - Friendship Family Organization (FFO) meeting; 5:00 dinner, 5:30 meeting (free dinner and childcare!)