Miss Niedringhaus March 14, 2016
Hearts for Preemies
Independence students will be working on a service learning project with their buddies at an upcoming Buddy Day. The project is called ‘Hearts for Preemies’. Hospitals collect small hearts made from flannel that the parents of premature babies put on themselves to absorb their scent. The heart is then placed in the crib with the baby when the parents are away. This is an opportunity to provide comfort and support for the baby as it helps the baby feel connected to his/her parents.
When our buddies get together, they will work together to follow a pattern to create a template for the hearts and to cut the hearts out. Once we are finished with getting the hearts ready, we will be donating the hearts to St. Joseph’s West Hospital.
In order to help accomplish this task, we are asking for donations of flannel from our community. The flannel can be any color and any size. It just needs to be washed. We are accepting donations until March 18.
Thank you for supporting this project.Independence Elementary
You can order your yearbooks 2 ways!!! You can return the order form that recently went home or you can order online. To order online, please visit: www.inter-state.com/yearbook and enter the code: 01307N.Ordering is available until March 11th so order your yearbook today!!!
· Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
· Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
· Use information gained from illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
· Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
· Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
Spelling/Phonics: Suffixes: -en and -hood
babyhood, boyhood, blacken, brighten, brotherhood, childhood, darken, frighten,
golden, knighthood, lighten, molten, motherhood, sharpen, shorten, weaken
Vocabulary: history, immigrant, riot
Read Aloud: Abby Takes a Stand
Text: A Day’s Work, Going Home, Train to Somewhere, Smoky Nights
Math: Topic 12: Geometry
Lessons Includes: Polygons and Angles
Wholes and Equal Parts
Dividing Rectangles into Equal Parts
Equal Shares, Different Shapes
Problem Solving: Use Reasoning