A weekly update from the West Bloomfield School District
Health Screenings - Attention Families!
We need families to be honest with us when monitoring their own student's health each day. If your student is feeling under the weather for any reason, please do the responsible thing and keep your student home from school that day. When keeping students home, please continue to monitor their symptoms throughout the day and reevaluate the next day.
We will work with families to ensure any students remaining at home due to health precautions have the necessary time and resources to stay up to do in their classes without falling behind. We'd rather families take the necessary precautions instead of worrying about class assignments or grades when dealing with potentially ill students.
As we head into cold, flu and allergy season, this honest accounting of our students' symptoms each day will help us keep all who learn, work and play within our buildings safe.
Please reach out to your building principal if you have any questions or concerns.
Canvas Login Information
Additional Canvas resources can be found at www.wbsd.org/canvas.
Food Service Update - 2020-21 School Year
Please contact Anne Stevens with Nutrition Services questions at email@example.com or (248) 865-6733.
Laker Football vs. Southfield A&T LIVE on Civic Center TV
Civic Center TV's live coverage of West Bloomfield High School Football THIS Friday (Sept. 25) will include TV and Radio coverage. - Go Lakers!
Civic Center TV - CH 15 Comcast
Online - wbfootball.motowndigital.com & Civiccentertv.com
Facebook Live - WB Schools Facebook
89.3 FM. (Lakes FM)
Streaming audio - lakesfm.com
Vote Donovan Edwards - 2020 Michigan High School Mr. Football
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL? Voting for the 2020 Michigan High School Mr. Football contest - sponsored by Hungry Howies – is On!
To vote, select our very own Donovan Edwards from the list at the link below and cast your vote!!
Voting is limited to once every 3 minutes, so please refresh your browser after the allotted timeframe to cast another vote! Vote early and often!
Watch Live Lakers Athletics Through the NFHS Network
Please see the attached flyer below for information on how to watch live action of Lakers Athletics for events in our Gymnasium and Stadium. Here is the link for our school page for the NFHS Network:
Cloud Care is a HIT!
Our brand new Cloud Care program has been a huge hit with students and parents alike. Our dedicated Cloud Care staff work each day to ensure our students are continuing their learning outside of the classroom in a remote, positive and nurturing environment.
Over 30 Cloud Care staff members, working in six different locations and assisting over 200 students with Zoom meetings, class assignments, and any additional supports they might need.
Students also have the opportunity to socialize (physically distant), exercise, and participate in enrichment opportunities from our Community Education department.
Our Child Care team is continuing to reexamine and reevaluate best practices moving forward. The team sincerely appreciates the trust and partnership they've received from families in caretaking and supporting so many of our students.
Blessings in a Backpack - Fall Update
Students eligible for the Free and Reduced Meal Program are also able to receive six non- perishable meals each weekend from the Blessings in a Backpack program at NO cost.
These bags of food will be passed out on Fridays in each child’s classroom for Preschool to grade 5 students, and in the School Office at West Bloomfield Middle School for grades 6 through 8 beginning October 9th.
Lakers on Line and West Bloomfield High School students can pick up their bags of food on Wednesdays at West Bloomfield Schools Nutrition Food Service’s Curb Side Pick Up Line at West Bloomfield High School from 6:30-7:30 am, from 11:30 am-12:30 pm and from 5:00-6:00 pm every Wednesday starting October 7th .
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for this program.
NOW ENROLLING! - GSRP in WBSD
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is an income based state-funded (free) preschool program for children four years old by September 1st. GSRP is held at at Scotch and Sheiko Elementary on MT THF. All applicants must meet income guidelines. Contact Laura Poxon at email@example.com or Kathi Luthe at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you qualify or call Collette Goestenkors at 248-865-6466.
Openings are still available for all full-day and half-day preschool programs at ACS and Sheiko Elementary! All West Bloomfield preschool programs utilize the HighScope curriculum.
NOW HIRING! - DM Burr & WBSD
DM Burr Facilities Management is hiring Custodians to work within the West Bloomfield School District.
Full-Time and Part-Time Positions Available - Starting Wage is $13.00 per Hour
**Plus up to an additional $1.00 per hour - Attendance bonus for all hours worked**
Benefits Offered (for full-time positions):
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holiday
- Profit Sharing
- Consistent Work Schedules
Custodial Position Requirements:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to follow basic verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
WBHS Seeking Mentors for Personal Apprenticeship
West Bloomfield High School Professional Apprenticeship is seeking members of the local community to serve as mentors for students enrolled in West Bloomfield High School’s Professional Apprenticeship Course. Students will work a minimum of three hours per week without pay in exchange for the opportunity to gain further knowledge in their future career area of interest.
If you currently hold a position in the area of law, government, politics, education, business or non-profit and would be interested in serving as a mentor for our 11th and 12th grade students, please email email@example.com.
WBHS seeking Medical Mentorship participants
If you currently hold a position in any area of health care, biomedical, research or non-profit and would be interested in serving as a mentor for our 12th grade students contact Christen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Little Lakers Virtual Preschool
Contact Laura at 248-865-6457 for more information to register for virtual preschool!
Cultivating Mental Health in the Era of COVID-19 - Sept. 30
in the Era of COVID-19
Webinar featuring Dr. Gretchen Moran Marsh
Wednesday, September 30
- Learn the different ways the pandemic is affecting people.
- Learn about the different components of depression and anxiety.
- Learn the tips and tricks on how to persevere through this unpredictable time.
Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society - School Memories
This month they'd like to collect your School Memories! Follow the link below to submit your stories!
WB Township Library Information
September 27- October 3 is Banned Books Week. Some of the choices may surprise you.
Check them out!
- Banned Books reading list
September 15 – October 15 is Hispanic Heritage Month. Celebrate with a good book.
- Friends In Our World - Hispanic Friends (Kids) reading list
- Hispanic Heritage Month (Teen) reading list
- History in the Making - Hispanic American History (Kids) reading list
September is Library Card Sign-Up Month
Make sure your kids have the most important school supply of all—a library card! Get one this
September and kick off the school year right.
Live Online Tutoring
- Brainfuse is a valuable resource for K-12 students with a West Bloomfield Library card. It connects students to live online tutors for homework help from 2-11 PM (except holidays).
- Interested in learning more? Watch this video tutorial from one of our information experts, Ms. Megan. Ms. Megan is a librarian in the youth department at the Main Library.
- Ready to get started with Brainfuse? Visit the eLibrary. A West Bloomfield Library card is required.
The West Bloomfield Township Main Library and Westacres Branch are open for Phase 2
Services available in Phase 2 include Grab & Go, Curbside, and Virtual. Please see the
Library’s website for the latest updates and temporary hours.
Grab & Go Service:
- Come into the buildings and browse circulating collections.
- Select materials to enjoy at home and pick up materials you’ve placed on hold.
- Ask for reader’s advisory or reference assistance.
- Use self-check stations to check out materials.
- Leave the building after about 45 minutes inside.
- Building occupancy is limited to 25% capacity.
- Masks are required in the buildings.
- Parking Lot Pick-Up curbside service is available at both the Main Library and Westacres Branch.
- The Main Library Drive-Up window is also open.
- Enjoy the latest eBook and eAudiobook titles
- Watch movies and TV shows
- Listen to albums and singles
- Read more than 3,600 magazines
- Keep up with news from national and international newspapers
- Use the Learning Resource Center to match what you want to learn with resources for preschool to high school students, as well as adults No other use of building spaces will be available during Phase 2.
- Study spaces and computers are not available at either building.
- Frequently touched surfaces such as toys and play equipment, vending machines and water fountains are not be available.
Renew or request a library card
Ask at the Main Library Reception desk or the Westacres Branch Circulation desk. You can also
continue to renew or request a library card on the Library’s website.
Check out our district and building calendars in order to stay up to date on all events going on in our district!