From the Desk of Ms. Clark
September 3, 2020
What a wonderful way to start to our school year with our successful Orientation Days! I know this year is much different than any of us could’ve ever imagined. Rest assured we are doing everything within our power to ensure that our staff and your child’s experience is a safe and happy one.
I thank you for your willingness and cooperation to adjust to the new normal of Covid-19 mitigation procedures on our school campus.
As a member of our SKD School community, you have an important responsibility to help ensure a safe and healthy environment where students, faculty, and staff can live and learn well together as we work to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
All members of our school community must take the necessary steps to protect oneself, each other, and our neighbors—near and far. While we know that no one can be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19, we MUST commit to the following behaviors:
- Wearing a face covering—both indoors and outdoors;
- Washing and sanitizing your hands;
- Social distancing—keeping a safe space between you and others; and
- Health-monitoring through symptom screening tool each day before school
As we approach this holiday weekend, I remind you to refrain from any type of large gathering that would put you or another member of our SKD school community at risk of infection. We know from the experiences that the spread of COVID-19 has been directly linked to large parties and has resulted in the need for institutions to suspend in-person operations. No matter what your plans may be, your responsible actions will keep our school open. Very simply, it’s up to you!
Please be sure to read this entire newsletter as it includes important information regarding Tuesday.
The time has come to turn all of our hard work, preparations, and energy into the important work of Catholic education. We look forward to welcoming our children to school with all their enthusiasm anticipating a new school year! Enjoy the Labor Day weekend!
Symptom Screening Tool
Morning Arrival (Kindergarten - 8th Grade)
- Please view the video below explaining our new morning drop-off procedures.
- Morning drop off begins at 7:40am and ends at 8:10am.
- Be sure your students are wearing their mask BEFORE reaching the drop-off cones. Help us keep the carline moving by making sure your child has their mask on, filled bottle of water, backpack and lunchbox in hand and ready to go when you pull up.
- If the cones are not out at the main entrance, you are late. You must park. Walk your student to the front door. Parents MUST accompany a late child to the front door.
- IMPORTANT- When arriving to school in the morning, all cars and buses MUST enter the entrance by Saint Bede Church and Parish Center and exit through the driveway with the SKD Sign.
- Please enter the morning drop-off car line with caution. The morning drop off is an express line; parents may not stop and get out of their cars. Students must exit from the PASSENGER SIDE only. Students MUST be ready to exit the car once pulling into the car line drop-off in order to eliminate back-up traffic. DO NOT DRIVE OUT OF THE CAR LINE. PLEASE WAIT FOR THE LINE TO MOVE SLOWLY TO EXIT.
- If you need to bring your child into the school building, you MUST park your car in the front of the school and enter through the main school entrance. You must report to the office.
- PreK Families have been instructed by their classroom teacher on specific arrival procedures.
DISMISSAL (Kindergarten to 8th Grade)
- Kindergarten and Grade 1 Room 111 will be dismissed via the gym doors.
- Grades 1 Room 107 and 108 and Grade 5 will be dismissed via Stairway A.
- Grades 3 and 4 will be dismissed via the chapel doors.
- Grades 6-7-8 will be dismissed via Stairway B.
Student transportation changes must be made before 2:00 pm unless there is an emergency. Please be sure to email Mrs. Guarino and your child's teacher any changes.
PreK Families have been instructed by their classroom teacher on specific dismissal procedures.
School Hours are from 8:15am to 2:45PM and 8:30am to 2:30pm for our Pre-Kindergarten. Please call the school office and leave your child’s name and room number on the attendance line if your child is going to be absent for the day. If the absence is not reported to the office by 9am, a phone call will be made to confirm an absence.
This can be located in the Student Life section of the website. Monthly lunch orders and any correspondence from Mrs. Berk, our cafeteria coordinator, can also be found in this section. If your child should forget his/her lunch, you can place his/her lunch in the Late Lunch Bin in the school vestibule. This bin will be taken to the cafeteria at lunch. Please instruct your child to check this bin if he/she should forget his/her lunch.
Full Time Lunch Moderators- Help Wanted
Due to our new Health and Safety Plan for the pandemic, we must limit our visitors in and out of our school building during the school day. At this time, we are in need of permanent lunch moderators who are able to work Monday through Friday from 11am-1pm. Unfortunately, we will not be able to schedule lunch moderators for some days of the week as the lunch moderator will be required to stay only with his/her cohort each day.
If you are interested in this paid position or you know anyone who may be interested, please email Mrs. Guarino at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (215) 357-4720 as soon as possible. As always, all proper clearances are required for this position.
School Spirit Shop is Open
Important Dates to Remember
Tuesday, 9/8: First Day of School for ALL Grades PK-8
Thursday, 9/10: School Confessions
Friday, 9/11: Opening Mass 10:30am
Monday, 9/14: Virtual BTSN Grade 1 7pm
Tuesday, 9/15: Virtual BTSN Grades 2 and 3 7pm
Wednesday, 9/16: Virtual BTSN Grades 4 and 5 7pm
Thursday, 9/17: Virtual BTSN Grades 6-7-8 7pm