Laura MacArthur Eagle Update
Family Newsletter- October 2021
From Mr. Erickson
Our leaves are turning and the air has a chill at times, but it is great to have our students in our building learning and growing each day.
We just completed our Fall screening and we will begin implementing interventions in reading, math, and social emotional learning. You will be notified and permission requested before starting any intervention.
COVID is still on our minds and influences our school day. We will continue to do our very best to keep our students, staff and families safe while at Laura MacArthur utilizing our mitigating tools such as mask wearing, keeping our building clean, washing hands, and using hand sanitizer. Our students have done a great job in following all of these practices.
We have extra masks for our students if they forget theirs, but please send a mask with them for the ride on the bus or for their time in the building.
We are also looking forward to our conference time coming up in the next few weeks. Please see the information below.
Please feel free to call the school if you have any questions.
School Picture Day is coming!
21-22 Fall Family/Teacher Conferences
We are excited to provide individual Family/Teacher conferences on October 12th and 14th.
We will be assisted in this scheduling process by using an electronic app called Signup Genius. This is the same process we used the past couple of years.
- Please review and find your childs teacher in grade level order
- Select from the available slots below to sign up.
- Place your childs first name in the comment section.
- Submit Request
You will have the option to do a virtual conference if you prefer. For in-person conferences, please follow these directions to provide safety for all:
- Please one adult only with each student.
- Families can help by bringing
- Three Strengths of my child?
- Two wishes for my child?
- One question I have for you?
Please enter through the main door. A staff member will be there to guide you.
- Please use social distancing
- Face coverings will be required.
Location for Conferences:
- Teacher classrooms
Please contact your Childs teacher if these times do not work, or call the school offices at 336-8900 for assistance. Thank you!
SIGNUP GENIUS LINK: https://qrgo.page.link/hBQjW
Penny Drive Continues!
September 27- October 29th
We want your pennies! Check the pockets of old coats, old purses, in between couch cushions, in junk drawers....anywhere!
Each class will drop their coins into their own buckets. The classes who raise the most money will earn a class ice cream party! There will be a winner from each grade!
All the donations will go directly to the PTA to help support school activities and supplies!
Thank you for supporting Laura MacArthur!
This form must be completed before your child is allowed access to district Technology. Thank you for completing. CLICK TO OPEN
WE ARE HIRING!
As we look forward to our students returning, we are seeking to add to our valuable team of Cafeteria / Playground Monitors. A great opportunity to engage with youth in our community and perfect for parents interested in "earning while the kids are learning". Follow the link to apply!
Spectrum Internet Assistance Available!
When to keep you child home?
If your child is showing signs and symptoms of COVID-19, we are asking that you please keep them home and get tested or consult your healthcare provider for an alternative diagnosis as we are still seeing strep, influenza, and RSV circulating around the state and our area. It is imperative that they remain home when symptomatic to help us protect the integrity of in-person learning. We thank you for your help in keeping our school community safe.
COVID19 Signs & Symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
- New cough or a cough that gets worse
- Difficulty/hard time breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion/stuffy or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Muscle pain
- Extreme fatigue/feeling very tired
- Severe/very bad headache
Reporting an Illness
- Please contact the school attendance office if your child is ill.
- Contact 218-336-8900 option 3.
- If a confirmed COVID positive occurred, the department of health would be contacting the building directly. If you have any questions, please call the school office for information.
This decision tool applies to children, students, or staff members who are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19. It comes from the MN Department of Health.
Symptoms consistent with COVID-19 fall into two groups:
- More common symptoms are one or more of these: fever of 100.4℉ or higher, new onset and/or worsening cough, difficulty breathing, and new loss of taste or smell.
- Less common symptoms are two or more of these: sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, muscle pain, excessive fatigue, new onset of severe headache, and new onset of nasal congestion or runny nose
- Recess for students will be with their grade level outside. Indoor recess will occur in the classrooms during inclement weather.
- Standard protocols developed, pre-taught, re-taught
Building-wide schedule of recess periods
- Students will sanitize their hands as they go outside for recess and as they reenter from recess
High touch surfaces continued to be cleaned during the school year.
Cleaning kits provided in every classroom.
Thorough cleaning will be done each night outlined by MDH and CDC
Elementary Schools will be supplied with approved cleaners for every classroom which will be used for disinfecting.
Students will not be permitted to share their personal supplies.
Anytime a class set of items are used, they will be sanitized between use. (example: class set of manipulatives in math, art supplies, etc.)
If small cohorts use the same materials, those materials must be disinfected before another cohort uses them. Every attempt will be made for students to have their own set of supplies, manipulatives, etc.
Custodial staff has updated processes for sanitation and disinfecting throughout the school.
Ventilation: Air handling systems bring 100% fresh air into each building, and discharge 100% of the air to the outside through heat recovery units..
The volume of air in classrooms and other spaces is renewed, refreshed, and filtered 7.5-10 times per hour.
A full list of cleaning protocols can be found on the district website LINK
COVID-19 Reporting For Staff and Students Reporting for students
Families, please contact your building Licensed School Nurse and/or use the Student COVID Reporting Form for sharing the following COVID information with your school:
Student tested positive for COVID-19 (lab confirmed case)
Student experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and awaiting test results
Student experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 but has not been tested
Student's been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
Student's household member experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19
Parent Drop Off Tips . . . .
- Please continue to pull forward as far as you are able to allow others into the lot.
- Please be patient and watch out for our littlest students.
- Drive away slowly.
- Avoid parking in the circle, drop off only.
FREE TUTORING AVAILABLE
Free tutoring for K-12 students is available through the CSS/ISD 709 Tutor Program.
We have tutors in a variety of grade levels and subjects. They've completed training and are ready to work with Duluth students!
- Once there you will be able to choose the grade level needed, the content, the tutor and the time they are available.
- Once you book a tutoring session you will receive an email with the details of your appointment.
- Appointments are online. A link to the video conference session will be sent with the email.
If you have any questions please feel free to email Beth LaVigne email@example.com
21-22 School Year - This events calendar may be adjusted as we confirm safety practices
- 10/4-10/8 - 5th Grade to Starbase - Air National Guard
- 10/8 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 10/11 - PICTURE DAY GR K-5
- 10/12 - Family/Teacher Conferences 2:45-8:00 pm
- 10/14 - Family/Teacher Conferences 2:45-8:00 pm
- 10/21 & 22: MEA-NO SCHOOL
- 10/25: Staff Development Day - NO SCHOOL OF STUDENTS
- 11/10 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 11/16 - PICTURE RETAKE DAY
- 11/25 & 26: NO SCHOOL
- 12/10 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 12/21 - Holiday Music Program 8:30-9:30
- 12/23 - 1/2: Winter recess-NO SCHOOL
- 1/3: School Resumes
- 1/17: MLK - NO SCHOOL
- 1/19 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 1/21: End of Semester-NO SCHOOL
- 2/8 - Family/Teacher Conferences 2:45-8:00 pm
- 2/10 - Family/Teacher Conferences 2:45-8:00 pm
- 2/17 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 2/22-25: Winter Recess-NO SCHOOL
- 2/28 - School Resumes
- 3/18 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 3/14-19 - Prairie Fire Theater - Snow White
- 4/15 - Peacemaker Assembly
- 4/18-22: Spring Recess-NO SCHOOL
- 4/25 - School Resumes
- 5/30- Memorial Day-NO SCHOOL
- 6/9 - End of the year picnic
- 6/10: Last Day of School
Join the Movement and Like Laura MacArthur Elementary School on Facebook
Want to see what is happening at Laura MacArthur? Like the Laura MacArthur Elementary Facebook page to get updates, see photos and videos from around our school, and get connected with our PTA.