CAREER DAY 2016
Career Day Speaker Information
Thank you for your willingness to share information about your career with the students at Leadership Preparatory Academy. Below are just a few tips to guide you through Career Day.
When you Arrive: Check in at the front desk. You will be given a guide to take you from class to class.
Refreshments: Refreshments will be available for all speakers in our conference rooms.
Friday, May 13th, 8:30am-12:30pm
Leadership Preparatory Academy, 6400 Woodrow Road, Lithonia, GA, 30038
What to Say
- What do you do? What did you do before this?
- What kinds of things do you do at your job?
- Did you have to go to school after high school?
- What kinds of subjects did you like to study in school?
- What kinds of subjects were important for you to know in order to be able to do your job?
- Do you like your job?
- Did you always know you wanted to do what you do? If not, how’d you start out?
- How did you get to where you are? Was your path typical/not typical?
- What might you do differently if you started over or were “in these kids’ shoes?”
- What do you enjoy most/least about your work?
- Do you travel for work? Where have you been that is cool?
- What is a typical work day for you?
- What is the projected job market?
- Describe your work environment.
Advice for you to give students
- Try new things - you may find that you like it and are even good at it!
- Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something just because of who you are (a girl, for example!). Stubbornness can be a good thing! If someone tells you that you "can't" do something well, it should just make you want to prove them wrong!
- Find something that you are passionate about, and go for it. If people can tell you really care about what you are doing and are excited about it, they will want to help you. And if you are working for something you love, you won't mind working hard to reach your goal.
- Don't be scared to ask for help - it doesn't make you look bad. It just shows that you want to learn.