BY: Ava Koivisto
Hi I am Ava and i work for NC State University's agronomy department. We need more people to work for us and help develop our department. Every day people grow crops and sometimes the soil and materials needed to grow the soil are not right and can make our resources dangerous. We need your help to make our community better.
- There are two types of weathering and they are: Mechanical and Chemical weathering.
- Mechanical weathering breaks rocks into smaller pieces.
- Their composition doesn't change.
- Chemical weathering breaks down rocks by forming new minerals.
- These minerals are stable at earth's surface.
- Different types of rocks weather at different rates.
- Soil composition- Soil is a mixture of rock particles, minerals, decayed organic material, air and water.
- Soil horizons-A soil horizon is a layer of soil that differs in color and texture from the layers above or below it.
- Soil formations- The rate which soil forms depends on the climate and also the type of rock. Soil develops more rapidly in a warm rainy climate.
- Soil texture- Soil texture depends on the size of the individual soil particle. sand feels grainy, but clay feels smooth and silky.
Rate of soil formation
- Soil takes hundreds of years to form just a few centimeters.
- The type of soil that forms depends on the climate. For soil a warm and rainy climate is needed.
- Soil forms slower in cold dry climates.
- Soil is first formed by rock and is later broken down by weathering and mixes with other materials on the surface.
Remote sensing & impact of humans on soil
- Remote sensing is the scanning of the earth by satellite or high flying aircraft in order to obtain the information about it.
- It is used to collect the reflecting light information from objects like crop canopies using platforms like satellites.
Importance of soil
- Soil is one of earths most valuable resources because everything on land that is living depends on soil.
- Soil is also very important because it holds roots that provide support for plants and store nutrients
- Soil controls the flow of water and chemical substances between the atmosphere and earth.
- Soil formation takes hundreds of years to just form a little.
- Compost piles help soil to be healthy for growing crops.
Common Missuses of soil
- Some common missuses of soil are planting crops down hills causing soil to wash away.
- Not creating compost piles to help the soil.
- Soil is cleaner and more pure when it is in grass instead of no grass.
Soil stewardship and advantages
- Instead of planting crops straight down a hill plant them across so that when it rains the soil doesn't wash away.
- This is how many farmers plant their crops.
- Crop rotation is when pests and diseases avoid soil nutrients and create weeds.
- Keep extra food scraps to make a compost pile.