The Cheetah Coalition #34
Weekly Updates from the Atkinson Office - 5/5/23
Para cualquier otro idioma, utilice el botón "Translate" que se encuentra en esta página.
MESSAGE FROM MS. ESSEX
Dear Atkinson Families,
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the emails of support for Atkinson GSA, due to the canceling of our Pride event. It was a difficult decision to make, but the threats on social media, by phone, and to staff member's email accounts were significant and we always strive to put the safety of our community and students first. It is sad to me that the voices of the few can outweigh the voices of the many - and thus take away an anticipated, optional, after school event from those who it meant so much to. It is my hope that as a community, we can rise above our disagreements and respect the differences that make each of us unique. Atkinson has always been a diverse community of learners who celebrate one another. I hope that we can move forward from this negative experience and rebuild the culture of trust and acceptance that we value so much.
Many of you have asked how you can help. One way that has recently come to my attention is that we should all stop "googling" this event and the people involved. Googling messes with the online algorithms and continues to highlight this week's events. I also want to reiterate that we do not condone hate and support the team decision to keep our students and staff safe. We are looking at scheduling a "town hall / info session" for parents in the coming weeks for those who are interested. In the meantime, please read THIS op-ed written by Atkinson 5th grader, Elijah Barish.
On a cheerier note, our ARTS OPEN HOUSE is coming up on Wednesday, May 24. Our music teacher, Mr. Misha, wants me to encourage everyone to attend their student's portion of the show. The more musicians who perform, the better the performance! Please keep in mind that students will not be allowed in the building without an adult. Adults must stay with their children at all times, except during performance. Thank you.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
ARTS OPEN HOUSE (REPEAT FROM LAST WEEK)
I am excited to announce that we will have an "Arts Open House" on Wednesday, May 24. This will be an opportunity for you to visit our book fair in the library to shop for some summer reading, peruse the hallway art, and hear what your student has been working on in music.
This event will be a "go at your own pace" event - come for as little or as long of a time that works for your family. Please note that all children/students MUST be accompanied by their adult at all times - except when they are called to perform. We hope to see you there!
K-2 Music Presentation, 6:00 - 6:30
3-5 Music Presentation, 6:45 - 7:15
Book Fair in the Library all Evening
Visit Art Displays in the Hallways
SITE COUNCIL NOMINATIONS & ELECTIONS for the 2023-24 School Year
It is time to elect Atkinson Site Council members for the 2023-2024 school year! The school Site Council is "a group of elected people with the responsibility for developing, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the School Continuous Improvement Plan (SCIP)." Site Councils include the principal, as well as elected representatives from classroom teachers, parents, community members, and other school personnel. To learn more about Site Council, please see THIS PAGE for links to more information.
If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else for election, please complete THIS FORM by Friday, May 19. Elections will be held the week of May 29.
K-12 OHSU SCREENING PROGRAM ENDING
Funding for screening testing in Oregon's K-12 schools will end on July 31, 2023. OHSU Screening testing will not be available for 2023 summer camps. Schools may continue to use Abbott BinaxNOW diagnostic tests for students/staff who become symptomatic while on-site, and a limited supply of iHealth self-tests will remain available for families to request from the school. Students must have signed consent to continue participating in diagnostic (symptom-based) testing at school.
What you need to know:
- The last week of screening testing will be June 19-23. This means OHSU will continue to pick up tests from schools through the last days of school and also continue to operate the community drop-off points until Friday, June 23. The locations of the community drop-off points are:
- OHSU Child Development and Rehabilitation Center: 707 S. Gaines St., Portland, OR 97239
- OHSU Primary Care Clinic, Gabriel Park: 4411 S.W. Vermont St., Portland, OR 97219
- OHSU Primary Care Clinic, Richmond: 3930 S.E. Division St., Portland, OR 97202
- OHSU Primary Care Clinic, Beaverton: 15700 S.W. Greystone Ct., Beaverton, OR 97006
- For families who test at home, student enrollment through OHSU’s LabFinder webpage will end on Friday, May 12th.
- OHSU is not able to take back any of the test kits shipped to homes or schools. Please dispose of them, or if you can, re-purpose them. We ask that you please do NOT return them to OHSU or the school.
- OHSU’s customer service team will be available through Friday, June 30. If there are questions about the end of the program, families can call 503-418-8500 or email email@example.com.
TURN IN PLEDGES!
It's not too late to turn in your pledges from Run for Atkinson! Submit online via SchoolPay, or bring cash or check into the front office. Thank you so much for your support of Atkinson!
RUN FOR ATKINSON PHOTOS
We had so many wonderful photos of the Run for Atkinson! Many thanks to Lauren LaBarre Photography for sharing! Check out the photos HERE.
Champions is hosting Champ Camp at Atkinson this year! Families seeking summer childcare are invited to attend. We have plenty of space open and are looking for students to join us! More information HERE and on the flyers below.
REMINDER ABOUT ATKINSON BASKETBALL
Atkinson Basketball is continuing with Spring open gym (mainly scrimmages):
- K - 2nd grade students play Wednesdays (4:30-6 PM), April 12 - June 7, and can register HERE
- 3rd & 4th grade students play Mondays (5-6:30 PM), April 17 - June 12, and can register HERE.
- 5th grade students play Fridays (5:30-7 PM), April 14- June 9 and can register HERE.
There is no cost to participate. If you are able to help out (just twice a month) please sign up to volunteer HERE.
JUMP ROPE NINJAS!
The past few weeks in PE, we have been working hard on our jump rope skills. Students have had the choice to keep track of their jumps and work their way through the Jump Rope Ninja program. When a student reaches "Black Belt" for their grade level, they get a certificate and their picture taken for the "Jump Rope Wall of Fame". Here are our current Black Belt jumpers so far!
Also, as the weather gets nicer, we will be going outside a lot more for P.E., and we are currently in the beginning of our foot manipulatives unit (like soccer). Please ask your student which days they have P.E. to make sure they have shoes that can keep their feet and bodies safe. Exposed toes can get injured easily in P.E.
CHEETAH PAW WINNERS
Here are our awesome Cheetah Paw winners this week!
UPCOMING DATES TO KNOW
- May 8-12 -- Educator Appreciation Week!
- Monday, May 8 -- PTA Meeting, 6:30 - 8pm
- Friday, May 12 -- PTA Coffee Chat, 9 - 10am
- Monday, May 15 - OLG Garden Work Party, 9-11am
- Friday, May 19 - Amigos Meeting, 9-10am
- May 22-26 -- Book Fair
- Wednesday, May 24 -- Arts Open House