Community Service Opportunities
Local Community Service in Houston County & Beyond
What is community service and why should I care?
If you have never considered the benefits of participating in community service, as a Westfield student, here are some opportunities to start helping your school and community during the 22-23 school year. If you already serve as a volunteer and want to expand your horizon, here are some additional community-wide opportunities.
If you are not sure if you should participate in community service, here are some reasons why you should reconsider.
1. Volunteering in high school teaches team work which is important for college, work, the military, sports, etc. When you volunteer, you are working with a new group of people and you must learn how to work together as a team.
2. Volunteering develops leadership skills and confidence. If you want to enhance your leadership ability, volunteering is a practical way to help you become a more competent leader.
3. Volunteering helps you step outside the box. Since Westfield is such a small school, it is easy to stay comfortable in our surroundings without venturing out. Volunteering allows you to meet new people and try new things.
4. Volunteering helps you to solve problems that are part of the real world. This is experience that cannot be taught in the four walls of the classroom.
5. Volunteering enables you to look great on your resume which will help you apply for those hard to get scholarships. Also, many colleges want to see what you are doing to help your community.
Below, you will find a list of community service opportunities in Houston County. If you know of more possibilities, please email Dr. Morton to add to this list.
Community Service in Houston County
City of Perry
Perry Volunteer Outreach
Perry Volunteer Outreach is looking for volunteers to assist with BINGO for senior adults. How to get involved:
1. Pick a Wednesday to prepare a simple lunch (PVO will cover the cost of food)
2. Cover the cost of a meal.
Provide some very inexpensive items to be used as game prizes ($2-3 per prize)
To volunteer, contact Perry Volunteer Outreach at 478-218-2247 or email them at email@example.com.
We are interested in student volunteers who have completed 7th grade who are self-motivated, reliable, hard-working, and cooperative. Please complete the Teen Volunteer Application found at the Youth Services Desk then return the application to any of the Library's service desks or print the application found below. After your volunteer application is reviewed, your name will be put on a list of potential volunteers. Your name will remain on the list of potential volunteers until a need arises. You will be contacted if we are in need of a volunteer.
PAWS Animal Shelter
- Student must be 16 and up.
- Application is in person.
- Hands on training.
Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday (9-11)
Saturdays (11-3) Open to the public.
Looking for volunteers for cooking, exercise, and other activities.
2097 Hwy. 41 South
Blessing Bags-Due to Dr. Morton by 11/1/22
Last year, Westfield donated well over 50 Blessing bags to distribute to local families for Thanksgiving. If you want to participate in this holiday campaign, please create a decorated bag with the following contents:
$20 gift card to Walmart or Kroger to purchase the meat for the meal
1 package of Instant Mashed Potatoes
1 can of Gravy (jars break, so the can or packet mix is best)
1 can Green Beans
1 can Chicken Broth
1 Package of Stuffing Mix
1 Package of Cornbread Mix
1 can of Fruit or Fruit Cocktail
1 box of Jell-o
1 boxed Dessert
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of Crispy Fried Onions
1 can of Cranberry Sauce
Outside of Houston County
Habitat for Humanity
Volunteers must be 16 or older to work on the job site and 18 or older to operate power tools. Younger volunteers are welcomed for landscaping days.
Contact: Katelyn Thigpen, (478) 745-0630, ext. 306
Office Address: 690 Holt Ave. Macon, GA 31204
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
ReStore Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Saturday, 9:00 AM to 3:00
Construction: Tuesday-Saturday, 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Thanks for building homes, communities, and hope with us!
Save a Pet
For students 18 years and older.