Herbert Spencer (1820-1903)
By: Kendra Kauffman
A little about him...
2. He called the study of sociology 'synthetic philosophy'.
3. Sociology became a discipline in the U.S. Because of his work.
4. One of his texts can be found at Harvard.
5. Spencer did not believe in public school systems.
6. Strongly emphasized individualism.
7. Believed that science was the only way to gain useful knowledge.
8. Gained education through reading.
9. Declined an offer to a university.
10. Believed that you can't learn unless it's through a scientific approach.