Period 4: 1800-1848
By: Cal Brock. 1/6/2015
British Seamen often deserted to join the American Merchant Marines. If and when the British found out, the British would board American Vessels in order to retrieve deserters, and seized any sailor not proving themselves as Americans. Impressment was one leading cause to the War of 1812.
James Madison: Elected 1808/1812
- Jefferson's Secretrary of State and was a great leader in American Foreign Policy.
- First President to ask congress to declare war (War of 1812)
- Calm demeanor and was always well prepared.
- Treaty of Ghent
War of 1812 Political Cartoon
Indians are together with the Redcoats (British Soldiers), and will help the British fight against the Blue Coats (American Soldiers).
Proclamation to Congress: 1812
Monroe Doctrine- 1823
- Declared Europe shouldn't interfere with affairs of the Western Hemisphere
- Interference would be seen as a threat to the U.S.
Monroe Doctrine Political Cartoon
Factory System: Samuel Slater
- Established the first factory in the U.S. In 1791
- New England emerged as the country's leading manufacturing center because of the many seaports.
- The Factory System expanded in the 1820s-1830s and resulted in an increase of finically business.
Asylum/ Prison Reform: Dorothea Dix
- Wanted to improve the Mentally Ill hospitals because of the bad conditions.
- State supported prison, mental hospitals, and poorhouses.
- EASTERN LUNATIC ASYLUM, in Williamsburg, Virginia Was the first pubically supported asylum in America.
- HOUSE OF REFUGE in New York was built to reform children of delinquent behavior.
- POL-2- Dorothea Dix's reform efforts helped change the American Mentally Ill by providing a better atmosphere for them within institutions, bettering their lives.
- NAT-3- The Monroe Doctrine showed the U.S. Involvement in international conflicts between the U.S./ Western Hemisphere and European Nations.