GSD Back to School 2021
District Website & App
You can download the app for free on both Google Play or the Apple App Store and select the entities that you'd like to follow. We suggest you follow the District in addition to whatever schools interest you.
Download for Android: https://bit.ly/2RNUo0n
Download for iPhone: https://apple.co/3wdpeyk
Seesaw (K-2)/ Schoology (3-12)
For the 2021–22 school year, GSD will continue to use Schoology (Grades 3–12) and Seesaw (Grades K–2) as our learning management platforms.
If you are a parent or guardian of a student that used Seesaw last year, your child’s new class and teacher information will be automatically linked to your account. Please remember to use the Seesaw Family App, not the Seesaw Class App, to access your account.
If you are new to Seesaw or were unable to connect last year, your child’s classroom teacher will be sending home information on how to set up your account.
Beginning this week, parents/guardians authorized to view information in Skyward should be receiving an email from Schoology. (If parents/guardians have separate email addresses indicated in Skyward, separate Schoology Parent accounts will be created.) For instructions on how to login, please refer to these steps (page 2). Login instructions for students can also be found here (page 1).
Please note that Student Courses in Schoology will appear on September 1. Until then, no courses will be visible to students or parents.
For additional information about either platform please visit Germantown’s Instructional Technology Website.
Starting this fall, teachers will have access to a new technology platform called Borderless Classroom.
What is Borderless Classroom?
Borderless Classroom is a Chromebook management platform that allows teachers to monitor student devices during school hours (7:00 am–4:15 pm, Monday–Friday).
Teachers will be able to:
Share live video with students
Share their screen with the class, groups of students, or individual students
View students’ screens in real time
Redirect student devices using browser tab control
Lock down student devices for testing
Block or allow website access as needed for class
Send messages to individual students, groups of students, or with the class
Receive automatic class attendance records
Generate individual activity summary reports
Teachers will NOT be able to:
Turn a device on or off
Turn a device’s webcam on or off
See a student’s screen or webcam view when the device’s camera is in use
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Julia Leeson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Citizenship & Device Responsibility
Staff and students in the Germantown School District will exercise good digital citizenship practices:
- Use school technologies only for teaching and learning-related activities;
- Follow the same guidelines for safe, respectful, responsible behavior online that I am expected to follow offline;
- Be cautious to protect the safety of myself and others;
- Treat school technology tools/resources responsibly and alert staff if there is any problem with their operation;
- Encourage positive, constructive discussion when collaborating or communicating;
- Alert a teacher or other adult staff member if I see threatening/bullying, inappropriate, or harmful content (images, messages, posts) online;
- Respect the intellectual and digital property rights of others by citing sources when appropriate;
- Recognize that use of school technologies is a privilege and treat it as such;
- Be mindful of media balance and monitor how much time I am are spending in front of a screen
Information for Parents
Teaching children good digital citizenship skills requires a partnership between the school district and families. It is important to have conversations with your child about best practices when using technology and modeling those best practices at home.
For more information about how to have conversations with your child or resources on digital citizenship please visit: Common Sense Media.
This folder has quick tips on how to navigate the Skyward Parent Portal.
To learn more about Skyward click a link below:
For access to all tutorials- click here.