BULLY FREE ZONE!
Making Our Classroom Safe for Everyone
Mr. Foster's Newsletter
According to stopbullying.com, here are a few simple steps teachers can take to stop bullying on the spot and keep their students safe.
- Intervene immediately. It is ok to get another adult to help.
- Separate the kids involved.
- Make sure everyone is safe.
- Meet any immediate medical or mental health needs.
- Stay calm. Reassure the kids involved, including bystanders.
- Model respectful behavior when you intervene.
Avoid these common mistakes:
- Don’t ignore it. Don’t think kids can work it out without adult help.
- Don’t immediately try to sort out the facts.
- Don’t force other kids to say publicly what they saw.
- Don’t question the children involved in front of other kids.
- Don’t talk to the kids involved together, only separately.
- Don’t make the kids involved apologize or patch up relations on the spot.
Teachers should remind their students often of classroom rules and to answer any questions students may have concerning a specific classroom rule. If possible, teachers should make sure rules are posted in plain view in their classrooms or to make sure all students have copies of classroom rules and expected positive behavior.
Teachers should confront classroom bullies and immediately put a stop to their actions. If the actions of the offending bully continues, teachers should make sure that the proper consequences are applied. Teachers needing assistance with "serious" bullying issues, should always contact the school's administrator, counselor or resource officer.
Let's work together to stop bullying and to make our school and classrooms safe, fun, and a positive learning environment
Basic Classroom Rules
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Respect other people and their property (e.g., no hitting, no stealing).
- Laugh with anyone, but laugh at no one.
- Be responsible for your own learning.
- Come to class and hand in assignments on time.
- Do not disturb people who are working.
- Raise your hand before speaking
- Make sure you have permission before getting out of your seat.
Please create classroom rules based on your classroom's grade level.