Rising Kindergarten Welcome Letter
Welcome, Kindergarten Families!
Welcome to Northwoods Elementary School! We are so excited to meet and welcome our new kindergarten students! While there are still many uncertainties about what school will look like this fall, our hope is that this newsletter will provide you with information that will help prepare you and your family for the transition into kindergarten.
In this welcome newsletter, you will find the following information:
- Welcome Video from Principal Nixon
- Kindergarten Orientation Presentation
- Northwoods Elementary Counselor Corner Presentation
- Virtual Tour of Northwoods Elementary
- Bus Transportation Link
- Online Lunch Account Information
- Invitation for a Virtual Kindergarten Orientation Session
- Northwoods PTA Information for Rising Kindergarten Families
For important news and updates, please follow us on Twitter @JoeNixonNES and @NorthwoodsElem1.
Click Below to View the Kindergarten Orientation Presentation
Click on the Counselor Corner Presentation Link Below
Northwoods Elementary Virtual Tour
Kindergarten Orientation Q & A Session
Kindergarten Orientation Q & A Session--Please RSVP
Thursday, July 23rd, 6-7:30pm
This is an online event.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Northwoods Elementary PTA Information
Hello, Northwoods Families!
We’d like to take a minute to explain who we are and how we can help you and your child! Our PTA is made up of parents, grandparents, guardians, and staff including our principal, Mr Joseph Nixon. Our mission is to create the best possible learning atmosphere for our children—a goal that affects EVERY Northwoods family! The PTA is led by an executive board of parent volunteers and staff members. We hold monthly board meetings and periodic general meetings, and we welcome any level of participation that you’re able to offer, whether that’s volunteering your time or simply joining and paying your membership dues.
This year’s dues begin at just $10 for a single membership. Every member that joins the PTA will automatically be entered to our raffle contest. Some may think $10 may sound like a lot of money for one membership! But see how far it goes:
● As part of the Northwoods Elementary PTA, you’ll help provide funding for special events and services like the ones mentioned on the following page. You’ll have a voice and a vote in our PTA plans. And you’ll join a network of dedicated parents and staff. We want to bring our school community together . . . although we focus on children, we’re a resource for parents, too!
● As part of the North Carolina and National PTAs, you’ll help fight for our children’s best interests in state and federal policymaking. Not all of us can go to Washington D.C., but our National PTA representatives can; in fact, our National PTA is our country’s oldest and largest child advocacy association. Because of National PTA, we have child labor laws, a school lunch program, and publicly funded kindergarten. State PTAs have influenced legislation on class size, gang prevention, and special needs programs, to name a few. NCPTA is currently lobbying for better funding for schools, higher salaries for teachers, and stronger parent involvement rights. When we band together, we can make big differences.
In this packet and letter, you’ll find:
1. An infographic on the impact of our work and how to stay informed throughout the year!!
2. No Fuss Fundraising. It’s the #1 easiest way to earn money for our school. The best part is it only takes a few minutes of your time and it DOESN’T COST a thing!
3. Volunteer Opportunities. The Northwoods PTA is looking for volunteers for the 2020-2021 school year. We have open Board positions in need of leaders. In addition, we have lots of events and programs which will need help! We have opportunities for everyone (parents, grandparents, caregivers, etc.), whether you work full time, part time or are a stay-at-home parent.
We need your help to fill the following positions:
- Leadership Roles including President, Vice President, and VP of Fundraising
- Cultural Arts
- MemberHub Administrator (membership and store website)
- Safe Routes to School, including Bike & Walk to School Days
- Staff Appreciation
- 5th Grade Activities
No experience is necessary, just a willingness to help make the 2019-2020 school year fantastic! If you have any questions or need details on the positions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. A Membership Enrollment Form. You either complete the form and return it to your child’s teacher, or better yet, just join, pay your dues, and make a donation online here:
If you’re writing a check, please make sure that it’s made out to Northwoods Elementary PTA. With your membership, you’ll be able to participate in our PTA and access all NCPTA and national PTA member offerings. You’ll also be eligible for a variety of member benefits—for example, year-round Staples discounts, free AARP membership for grandparent members, and more.
5. A PTA Events Calendar. The Calendar and Events are TBD as we work through details with schools openings and COVID-19 restrictions. Please stay tuned to the Northwoods website and the community calendar for updated information.
Feel free to contact us anytime with your questions or suggestions. We are here to help you. Thank you for your support, and welcome to the 2020-2021 school year!