Southside High School
May 15-21, 2016..........................Edition 35
Faculty & Staff Weekly News and Information Bulletin
Please be cognizant of information, dates and deadlines, changes and updates to regularly scheduled meetings, and reminders included in the bulletin. Information included may be confidential; therefore, all Tiger Tales news bulletins are considered exclusively for Southside High School faculty and staff.
This Week At Southside
Monday, May 16:
8:45 a.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 1st Period
1:07 p.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 5th Period
Tuesday, May 17:
8:45 a.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 2nd Period
1:07 p.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 6th Period
Wednesday, May 18:
8:45 a.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 3rd Period
11:35 a.m...............Grand Tiger of the Year Luncheon/Tardy Incentives
1:07 p.m.................EOC/Senior Exams: 7th Period
4:00 p.m.................Faculty Meeting
Thursday, May 19:
8:45 a.m..................EOC/Senior Exams: 4th Period
10:50 a.m................Senior Locker Clean out
11:35 a.m................Yearbook Signing Day Party
1:15 p.m..................Graduation Practice (auditorium)
Friday, May 20:
9:00 a.m..................Senior Breakfast
10:30 a.m................Senior Program
11:35 a.m................Sunshine Club Luncheon Rm 101--members only)
12:00 p.m................Senior Cookout
2:05 p.m..................Recycling Bins Emptied
3:10 p.m..................Yearbook Student-Teacher Basketball Buy-out Game
7:00 p.m..................Band Awards Banquet
In the Near Future
23...........Graduation Practice (Bon Secours Wellness Arena)
24...........Senior Final Grades & ScoreSheet Reports due
...............End of the Year Goals Celebration (5th-7th Periods)
25...........Underclassmen Exams begin
2.................Last Day for Students/End of the 4th Quarter
3.................Professional Development Workdays
6..................Last Teacher Work Day
6-Aug. 15....12 Month Employees Extended Work Day Hours
From the Desk of the Principal
The District will have additional counselors available on Monday for students who need to speak to a trained professional about Friday's incident. If a student is absent from class on Monday due to the need for counseling services, the student will be required to make his/her exam up on Friday.
Senior Day will be held on Friday, May 20, 2016.
- The Senior Breakfast will start at 9 a.m. Teachers are welcomed to attend if you do not have a class but should refrain from eating breakfast to ensure that students and parents are fed first. Leftovers will be placed in the teacher mail room.
- The Senior Program will start at 10:30 a.m. Students will line up in the media center after the Senior Breakfast concludes. The Senior program will be held in the auditorium.
- The Senior Cookout will start at approximately 12:30 p.m. at the football stadium. Seniors will be allowed to return to campus to attend the student teacher basketball buy out game if they have purchased a ticket.
End-of-the-Year Checkout Information
Teachers may begin acquiring signatures on the End-of-the-Year checkout form starting Monday, May 16. Please review the form in its entirety and make sure all signatures are obtained prior to final checkout with Mr. Brooks. All staff members are advised that Monday, June 6, will be the last official teacher workday. Final checkout is based on student grade verifications. Everyone should plan accordingly.
Phones and Headphones
AP/IB, EOC and Senior Exams
AP/IB Exams will start on Monday, May 2, and conclude on Friday, May 20. Students do not have to report to school the day they have an AP/IB exam. Classroom teachers should mark students as present in PowerTeacher. Mr. Austin will make corrections as needed.
EOC and Senior Exams will take place the week of May 16-20. Seniors who have taken or taking AP/IB exams do not have to report to school during the allocated senior exam time(s). Traditional seniors who have not taken AP/IB exams must sit for their exam(s). If on campus, seniors are to follow the complete exam schedule or submit an early dismissal request as normal policy outlines. Senior absences should only be recorded for those students who miss an exam. Underclassmen are not eligible to take exams during Senior Exam week. Preparations should be made in advance if you have mixed classes.
Underclassmen Exams will start Wednesday, May 25, and conclude Wednesday, June 1. Teachers are to follow the textbook return schedule and exam study review period as outlined in the exam schedule. Students are not to be released from class after exams are completed. Early dismissals will not be honored during the actual exam. All underclassmen must sit for exams. Due to the compulsory attendance law, underclassmen who have taken an AP/IB exam should plan to attend during exam week unless they are not over in days (ten allotted absences for a yearlong course). Attendance should be kept in PowerTeacher for underclassmen.
Final Exam Expectations
- All teachers are expected to give a Final Exam except Special Ed Resource Teachers unless otherwise approved by administration.
- If a student misses a final exam and has administrative approval to make up the exam, each teacher is expected to administer the make-up exam prior to the close of school on Friday, June 3. Once exams have been graded, please contact Kathy Stables about updating the grade book.
- On or before Monday, June 6, please submit the following to Dr. Hall:
- A list of all administratively approved students who have not taken a final exam
- A hard copy of your final exam(s) and an answer sheet/Scantron for each student and an answer key with detailed grading information (ex: points per section)
Graduation will be held on Tuesday, May 31, at 10 a.m. at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena. All teachers are expected to attend. Ticket takers and security detail members are needed. Contact Mr. Griffin or Mr. Ludley if you are interested in assisting. Teachers and Staff members who will sit on the floor during gradation should see Ms. Ransome to obtain a robe.
Google Apps for Education
This is a reminder that teacher access to student home directories or “H drives” will no longer be available as of June 30th. Teachers will need to know the following information during the transition to google apps for education.
• Please retrieve anything from a student’s drive you may need before June 30th
• Please use Google Apps for Education to share files with your students going forward
• Student password self-recovery options are available through gcsbackpack.com
• Access to Google apps for education is currently available through gcsbackpack.com
• Teachers will be able to reset passwords through our upcoming Access Management System (AMS) by June 30th
No Hal Pass List
Student Hall Access:
Please make sure you sign your student’s agenda prior to letting him/her leave your classroom before the tardy bell or during instructional time. Student hall access should be limited to restroom or nurse visits. Student who do not have a signed agenda will be escorted back to your class.
No Hall Pass List:
- Cameron Espino
- Briasia Pyles
- Michael Franklin
- Marnethia Clinkscale
- Isiah Young
- Bailey Foster-Stewart
- Christopher Reices
- Symeshia Calhoun
Tracy Hall, Assistant Principal
Student Tardy Incentive Program
In an effort reward student promptness and encourage motivation for reporting to class on time, students will receive a tardy incentive card on Wednesday, May 18, that can be redeemed in the school store for a treat. 4th period teachers will receive tardy incentive cards for all eligible students on or before May 18. The incentive cards should be given to each eligible student prior to the start of his/her lunch shift.
Seat Time Recovery
Please remind students that Seat Time Recovery (STR) will be held each Saturday during the month of May starting at 8 a.m. The last STR session will be held on May 27. If a student has missed more than five (5) days in a semester course or ten (10) days in a yearlong course, they should see their department administrator for information pertaining to STR
- Friday, May 20, at 9 a.m............Senior grades and scoresheets are due
- Friday, June 2, at 9:00 a.m........Underclassmen grades and scoresheets are due
- Friday, June 3, 2016...................Underclassmen grades will be captured
- Please watch students when in the computer labs. Students are unplugging computer cables (power cords and internet cables) and moving equipment (mouse and keyboards) around the labs. When one class does this, it has an effect on the next class. If a computer lab is missing equipment, report it immediately to the library so that it can be replaced. If a computer is not working properly, report it immediately to the library so that ETS can repair it.
- Substitutes are not allowed to use computer labs, iPads or chrome books. If you are out and scheduled for one of these, please make alternate plans.
Southside Support Scoop
Please do not slide paperwork under Ms. Webb's or Ms. Seear's door. All information/paperwork for Ms. Webb or Ms. Seear should be placed in their mailboxes with the exception of money. All money and receipts books need to be turned in to Ms. Seear by 1 p.m. each day. Everyone is reminded to turn in invoice slips for any package you have ordered to Ms. Webb so the vendor can be paid.
As we prepare to close the school’s fiscal year accounting records, faculty members, students and guardians are advised that all money transactions with the school (fees and dues) are to be paid with cash or a money order starting March 21, 2016. Checks will no longer be accepted. We apologize for any inconveniences this policy may cause.
ISS Procedures and Protocols
Please refrain from sending students to ISS if you have not contacted Mr. Simmons, ISS Coordinator. Any student sent directly to ISS by a teacher will be returned to class by an administrator. Guidelines for removing a student from class are as follow:
Call Mr. Simmons
Complete the Incident Management Referral online
Contact the parent/legal guardian sometime during the day