Learning Forward Georgia
2017 Fall Institute
Becoming a Learning Team: A Guide to a Teacher-led Cycle of Continuous Improvement
Becoming a Learning Team offers teachers step-by-step guidance in using collaborative learning time to solve specific student learning challenges.
Teams can use the tools and strategies to:
- Understand the value and importance of collaborative learning to improve teaching and learning
- Launch a learning team cycle with five key stages
- Implement each of the five stages with specific strategies and supporting protocols
- Adapt the cycle to fit specific school and district calendars and initiatives
- Engage external support in sustaining learning teams
Stephanie Hirsh is executive director of Learning Forward. Learning Forward’s more than 10,000 members and 40 state and provincial affiliates are committed to increasing student achievement and educator effectiveness through standards-based professional learning. Hirsh advises policymakers, state and local superintendents, foundation leaders, and other thought leaders on improving student learning through effective professional learning and school improvement.
Before her appointment as executive director, she served the association as deputy executive director for 18 years. She began her career as a secondary teacher and later served as a school district administrator in the Richardson (Texas) Independent School District, and served three terms on the district’s school board. Her most recent books include Becoming a Learning System (2014), co-authored with Frederick Brown and Kay Psencik; A School Board Guide to Leading Successful Schools (2013), coauthored with Anne Foster; and A Playbook for Professional Learning (2011), co-authored with Shirley Hord.
- Examine the five stages of the learning cycle, key actions within each, and potential applications to your work.
- Gain an understanding of tools and strategies that can support learning teams.
- Develop learning designs that include using the book to support affiliate services.
- Determine a plan of action for working with your affiliate board.
October 10, 2017
Mansour Conference Center
995 Roswell Street, NE, Suite 100
Marietta, GA 30060
8:00am-8:30am Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:30am-4pm Becoming a Learning Team with Stephanie Hirsh!
$199 Early Bird Registration (through Sept. 15th)
$225 Registration after Sept. 15th
$199 LFGA Members
You'll also enjoy a delicious catered lunch and receive your own copy of Becoming a Learning Team, compliments of Learning Forward Georgia!
Become an affiliate member of LFGA and receive a members discount to all our events!
Learning Forward Georgia
We connect Georgia educators with innovative resources that help them to become more effective teachers, improve their district’s results, and maintain professional learning standards.
We’re an affiliate of Learning Forward, an international non-profit association that is exclusively devoted to advancing professional learning.