Saunders County 4-H Smore
December 1 , 2017
In this week's Smore...
- Achievement Celebration Results
- 2018 Special Garden Project
- Mark Your Calendars/Dates
- 2018 Theresa Wilson Photo Theme
- Changes to 2018 Saunders County Fair
- 2018 4-H Enrollment Open!
- Clover Crew- December (No November)
- 2018 SCF Superintendents/Leaders needed
- Nebraska Women in Ag Conference & Scholarship
- Interested in being a 4-H Judge?
- Other Opportunities
2017 Achievement Celebration
Leader Year of Service
Youth Years of Participation
Once again THANK YOU to all of our AWESOME 4-H families, youth, and volunteers! This program would be nothing with out all of your support and leadership!
**In photo, Jean Stewart receiving her 50 year volunteer service certificate and award, along with some of her past and current 4-H members!
2018 Special Garden Project
2018 Special Garden Project information now available! More information and sign up instructions are found here:
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
- The annual Leaders banquet/meeting will be held on February 11, 2018 at ENREC (formerly ARDC) from 2-4 P.M. More information to follow at a later time!
- Market Beef Weigh In will NOT be held in January again this year. Right now we are looking at a couple possible dates later into February and March, and will let you know as soon as we know!
2018 Thersa Wilson Photo Theme - "Fence Posts"
Changes for 2018 Saunders County Fair
BEEF: County Bred Market Animals and County Raised Breeding Animals MUST have been born within the Saunders County lines.
GOATS: Pygmy goats have been removed from the fairbook.
RABBITS: Market rabbits have been removed from the fairbook.
SHEEP: County Bred & Fed Sheep has been removed from the fairbook.
SWINE: To decrease confusion during Weigh in during the County Fair, the following will be enforced:
Weigh in & ultra sound from 8:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.
Weigh in ONLY from 10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M.
FAVORITE FOODS: New tables have been purchased to replace the octagon big wooden tables of previous years. More information to come!
Deadline for 2018 4-H Enrollment will be June 15. 2018! But the sooner you sign up, the more likely you are to not miss something
If you can't make it to Achievement Celebration, please stop by the Saunders County Extension Office as we will NOT be mailing out the certificates and awards that are not picked up that night. January 5 will be the last day available to pick them up!
Looking for 2018 Saunders County Superintendents/Leaders!
If we can't find people willing to serve as leaders or superintendents for these then they could potentially end up not being offered at the fair!
Please contact us if you would be interested in one of those!
Saturday, December 9 from 11:30 - 1 and 4:00 - 6:00. They are in need of two kids to help serve lunch and dinner.
Sunday, December 10 from 11:30 - 1:00. Two kids to help serve lunch.
Let us know if your interested!
Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference Scholarship Available
The annual Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference will be held Feb. 22 – 23, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Convention Center, Kearney, Neb.
The Women in Agriculture Conference is one of the longest-running women’s conferences of its kind in the country. The theme for this year’s conference is, “Growing our future, valuing our traditions.” Over 30 concurrent workshops will be hosted over the two-day event that focus on production risk, market risk, financial risk, human risk and legal risk.
The conference will feature three keynote speakers. Ruth Hambleton, the founder of Annie’s Project, will speak on empowering and educating women producers. Ann Finkner, Farm Credit Services of America senior vice president chief administrative officer, will share resources to help women recharge while dealing with complexity, stress and multi-tasking in agriculture. Lastly, Leslie McCuiston will share her story of being named America’s Pig Farmer of the Year.
- Five $125 scholarships (full registration fee) available to University of Nebraska Lincoln College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) students.
- Ten $62.50 scholarships (half registration fee) are available to Nebraska FFA, 4-H or Community College students. Students receiving a ½ scholarship are expected to pay the remainder of the registration cost during the registration period, or find a local sponsor.
Applicants will need to prepare a 3,000 character essay on "Why do you want to attend the Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference? How will you use the information in your future studies/career?"
TO APPLY CLICK HERE: https://ssp.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2gdxBcTI8sDQggB
Hotel rooms and additional travel expenses are not covered by these scholarships. The application is now open. Applications must be submitted online by midnight Friday January 19, 2018. Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than January 26, 2018.
Do you have an interest in being a 4-H Judge?
A new program has been added to the Nebraska 4-H website that allows 4-H Volunteers (that's you!) to sign up to be a 4-H Judge across Nebraska! If this sounds like something you'd like to do, click the link below:
Saunders County Extension
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.