March 19, 2018
A Principal's Perspective
Do you know that science has proven that taking a break, a vacation is good for you? Our creativity, memory, and even our health improve when we take a break from the daily stresses of the work week. Check it out from Psychology Today:
"Vacations are important because our bodies and brains are just not equipped to maintain the chronic stress that is a part of 21st-century life. When you're under chronic stress, your body releases the stress hormone cortisol. High levels of cortisol damage the hippocampus, the area of the brain responsible for learning and memory. So reducing stress is key to maximizing your brain's performance. Proven ways to do this include exercising, getting more and better sleep, spending quality time with others, and experiencing new adventures—all more likely to happen while on vacation."
So happy spring break! Whatever you do, I hope that you are able to rest and have fun! When we return renewed and refreshed, we will be able to successfully tackle the last nine weeks of the school year with energy and excitement!
Be Innovative - Design the possibilities!
Morning Duties for the Week
Gym & Morning Assembly (7:20-7:45): Peterson
Gym (7:20-7:45): S. Rhine
Parent Drop Off Direct Traffic (7:20-7:55): Sullivan
Parent Drop Off Car Doors (7:20-7:55): Simpson & Henry
Cafeteria (7:20-8:00): Prukop
Bus (7:15 - 7:55 Buses/ Car Drop Off after all buses arrive): Lewis
Counselor Schedule: - PreK - Caring/Fairness & 4th - Making Friends
Week at a Glance
Saturday Night: Spring Forward! Set your clocks one hour forward.
Monday: GP Choir 3:05-4:00; GP Report Card Grades Due by 8:00 am; Leadership Meeting 3:00-4:00; Start of the 4th Nine Weeks!
Tuesday: Imagineers Art Club @ 7:30 am; Faculty Meeting 3:30 Professional Staff
Wednesday: Awards Assembly 8:30 - K, 9:00 - 1st, 9:30 - 4th, 1:15 - 2nd, 2:00 - 3rd; Lunch Lounge Wednesday (see below for details)
Thursday: GP Rodeo Dress Up - Cowboy/Cowgirl Attire; Data Team Group A; 2nd Grade OPAS, Chess Club 3:15-4:15
Friday: Data Team Group B; No ELA Meetings
Saturday: GP Mustang Rodeo! 10:00-3:00
Tuesday: Internet may be out for about an hour sometime during the day. But no worries! We are on spring break! :)
News & Notes
- Tweet 3 times during the month of March and wear jeans on Tweet Tuesday, APRIL 3rd (note date change). Don't forget to use the hashtag #SuccessCSISD and the handle @greensprairie Share your story of the great things happening at GP!
- T-TESS & ATR Summative Conferences: If I am your evaluator this year. Please go to this link: https://tinyurl.com/y8qvcap7 to schedule a summative conference time. During this time we will discuss your progress toward your professional goals for this year, your professional development activities, and potential goals and areas you'd like to grow/work on next year. In preparation for the conference, please submit the T-TESS Goal Setting Template and End of Year Reflection form found in Talent Ed.
- Log in to your TalentEd Account
- Complete the "T-TESS Goal Setting Template - End of Year Reflection"
- Save and Submit the form
- Lunch Lounge Wednesday is here! We all know that it takes each of us to have a healthy, positive, productive, and yes fun! school culture. Eating together is just one way that we can get to know one another better all while cultivating a great team! If you would like to participate, eat in the teacher's lounge and wear your jeans that day! Win Win!
Rodeo is just around the corner, March 24th! We have an awesome PTO! They have been working hard to support our school. The rodeo is designed to provide family fun for our school community and raise funds for our school. Funds will go to field trips, teacher grants, grade level fun fund, supplies, technology, etc. They need your help by promoting the rodeo to your class and your parents. Below are some ways that each of us can help support the PTO.
Rodeo Information Smore:
Read over rodeo information link AND send to your parents. Notice the auction items listed - amazing! Magnolia Market is supporting GP by providing a great package to auction!
Order a rodeo t-shirt if interested. Communicate with parents that the deadline to order is midnight March 11th, this Sunday.https://greensprairiepto.membershiptoolkit.com/form/m/45242
Teacher Pie in the Face Contest:
On Monday, March 19th, when students enter the gym for assembly, there will be a jar for EACH classroom grade level teacher (including CAMP, counselor, & 2 Admin), 46 total. Other staff will be exempt. The students will place money in the jar of those teachers they would like to see get a pie in the face. Each day, Monday through Friday, after assembly, we will eliminate the bottom 10 vote getters (lowest amount collected). THOSE staff members will get to put any money they have collected in the remaining staff member's jar of their choice. On Friday, we will be down to 6. At the end of the day Friday, the 5 with the most money collected will be our "Winners" and will get pied on Monday morning! Yay! We will auction off the ability to throw the 5 pies at the Rodeo on Saturday.
-Sign up to bake an item to sale as dessert on rodeo day. Sign up sheet is in the office workroom. Bake an item, wear jeans week of March 26-29th.
-Sign up to judge the cupcake wars and/or baking contest. Judging will be Friday, March 23rd, at 4:00 in the science lab. Be a judge wear jeans the week of March 26-29th. Sign up sheet is in the office workroom.
-Sign up to sell tickets the day of the rodeo. Sale tickets and wear jeans the week of March 26-29th. Sign up sheet is in the office workroom.
Volunteer for two items and receive a jeans pass to wear jeans any day in April!
Know anyone that would like to enter in the BBQ cookoff? Great prizes, cash awards, and spend the night at the school outside under the stars! Can it get any better? BBQ contest link: https://greensprairiepto.membershiptoolkit.com/mustangrodeo
Enter the baking contest! https://greensprairiepto.membershiptoolkit.com/mustangrodeo
Entries could be a cake, pie or cookies. Grand Champion will receive a $50 Amazon gift card! Any staff member that wins Grand Champion, will also get to leave campus 1 1/2 hours early. I will cover your class!
Mustang Yee Haws!
From Latonya: I wanted to inform you of the complement given by a visiting family member on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. The visitor informed me that she wanted to complement the staff who were responsible for keeping the cafeteria clean and those who were responsible for monitoring the children.
In her words: I have never been in a school during lunch time and the cafeteria is so clean and the children are respectful and quiet. I have always noticed food and paper on the floor and very noisy children in other schools, but this school is different. I love coming here to eat with my grandchild which I look forward to each time. I just want to say thank you to everyone responsible.
- CSISD New Family Welcome Night was a great success! We had 60+ families in attendance. As I greeted our parents, I was so grateful for the comments that were shared with me concerning GP. One mom said that she could not wait to have her daughter be at GP. She had heard so many great things about GP and was excited for her child to be here. Another parent shared that she had heard that we had an amazing staff and was glad that they would be at GP.
The fruition of your hard word does not go unnoticed! Collectively, all of us working with the GP mission as our goal does make great things happen for our students and school family. Comments from future families or the applicants that are currently submitting resumes because they want to work at a dynamic, all about kids school, reminds us to continue to cultivate and nurture this special place that we call GP Elementary. Thank you for all you do as a staff member on this campus!
No Staff Birthdays This Upcoming Week!