Leading the pack in education
January 11 House Meeting
January 11 Reading 360 Training during conference of after school
January 13 ELA Compositions (K-5)
January 14 Instructional Rounds #3 (really only the second one)
January 15 Care Team Day
January 15 PTA Glow Party 11:25-11:50 (Dickman, Mabry, Riley)
January 15 End of the 3rd Six Weeks
January 18 Flex Day PD (no students)
January 19-29 MOY Reading Assessment
January 19 Grades Due by the end of the day
January 19 Update Awards Spreadsheet by end of day
January 20 LOL PM
January 22 Special House Meeting
January 25 House Meeting (first of 4th six weeks)
January 25 Campus Team Meeting
January 26 Jump Rope for Heart (Specials)
January 26 Texas Star Inn Restaurant Night
January 27-29 JPS Dental: Healthy Smiles
January 28 Battle of the Books!
January 29 Author Visit: Chris Barton
Our P.O.P. (Progress on Practice)
Teacher of the Year Nominations
It is that time of year to honor one of the many outstanding individuals who make such a difference in the lives of our students. I am so glad to be working with each one of you and I am eager to see who you will select to represent our campus this year.
The form emailed Sunday the 10th needs to be submitted electronically to your campus principal or designee by: Friday, January 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM.
TAGT on Demand
TAGT On Demand is now open for teachers who are interested in getting started on their annual 6-hour update for 2016-2017. If there are teachers who did not complete their 30-hour or the 6-hour update for this year, they may also continue working on that task. District guidelines require that it be completed by December 31 each year, but the logins BISD paid for will be available until June 30. Please finish hours for this year as soon as possible. Courses are being posted in Workshop as quickly as possible once teachers submit their certificates to Katie Waldrip.
Special Awards Spreadsheet
The sheet can be accessed online at:
Below are the directions:
1. Scroll down to your class
2. DOUBLE check to make sure you have all your students listed and they are in the correct house. Make changes/additions if needed.
3. Put in a number 1 in the box your student earned.
4. The sheet automatically saves so just complete this by Tuesday January 19.
Pictures of Students
If you would like to add picture to the digital sign just upload the pictures to the following folder:
Empathy: understanding our kids who struggle the most
We have sent out a message to parents about making sure they bring their laminated cards with them. We appreciate your help in communicating this with parents who do not have these and referring them to the office for a temporary one.
Please continue to make sure parents have their pickup cards. The police said this is one of the best things they like about our school's dismissal for 3 reasons.
1. It reassures parents the person next to them is supposed to be here
2. It highlights individuals who might not need to be on campus
3. It is a very visible signal to the community that there is a system in place to identify people whop are supposed to be here. The police said this is a very strong, proactive, deterrent to those who should not be on campus.
The police were very complementary of our dismissal procedures and I want to encourage your vigilance. If there are any suspicious vehicles around campus, call on the radio immediately so the office can respond quickly. Having everyone be on alert is the best way to make sure only those with a legitimate purpose are on campus.
Please let me know if there is any support you need with any of the above. I will be stationed in the area closest to Scott Drive for the remainder of December, but can come to any spot if needed.
Reminders and Focus
Our security fence will start construction over the next few weeks. This is part of the bond money and the purpose for this is to increase safety and security. There will also be new sidewalks, ramps, and pads constructed to accommodate the foot traffic that will be impacted due to the fences.
- Our goal is to be level 3 (or moving close to it) in most areas on the district rubric for TEKS centered teaching. I have seen many great examples of students interacting with the TEKS in class. Be sure to not only post them, but have discussions so that students understand the goal of their learning.
- Continue to build strong, positive relationships with all the students. Smile often. Choose to see the good and positive. Focus on growth and celebrate often. Nothing is more helpful in the learning process than the effects of trust and joy.
- PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place. If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
- Rigor, relevance, and engagement strategies should be focus on when planning student learning tasks.