News & Updates from Compass Academy - September 5, 2021
Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 6: Labor Day- no school
- Thursday, September 9th: Virtual Back to School (Curriculum) Night -link will be posted on the Compass Academy website and shared via email on 9/9
- Monday, September 13th: Compass Academy Picture Day- all students will get ID photos taken and will receive an ID; order forms for photos will be distributed next week
- Wednesday, September 29th: Open House (in person), 5:00-6:30 pm - enter through door 1
Back to School Night
- Back to School Night this year will be virtual. All of the Compass Academy teachers are creating videos, which will be linked on the Compass Academy website.
- In each video, teachers will introduce themselves and give an overview of the courses they are currently teaching, including class expectations, a general outline of what students will be learning, how to track student progress, and how you may contact them for support.
- You will also be able to access other videos related to Compass Academy, including a more detailed explanation of competency-based education, an overview of upcoming opportunities for work-based learning, and further explanation of what students should be doing on Wednesdays.
Advisory & Post-Secondary Planning
- Last week, students had the chance to complete a career interest survey and explore the results. This information, along with results from other career exploration activities, will be included in each Student Success Plan (SSP), an individual learning plan students create with their advisor and counselor which includes students’ interests, goals, and planned post-high school path, along with their competency attainment for progress monitoring.
- Once they are initially created, SSPs will be viewable by parents and guardians as well. SSPs will be “living documents,” so students will continually update and revise them as they attain competencies and explore post-secondary options.
Work-Based Learning Continuum
Here are two ways you can get involved now:
- We will be starting our Speaker Series next month. This will entail volunteers from various career fields taking 30-60 minutes of their time on a Wednesday to participate in a Zoom Q & A session with interested Compass Academy students. We want as many career fields represented as possible! If you are interested in being one of our speakers, please complete this Google form and Jackie Nilles, our Work-Based Learning Specialist, will be in touch with you soon to discuss next steps.
- If your place of employment is interested in offering Compass Academy students the opportunity to take a tour or engage in job shadowing, please complete this Google form and either Jackie or I will follow up with you within the next two weeks to discuss options and next steps.
Physical Education at Compass Academy
Many of you have had questions about physical education requirements for CA students. Because Compass Academy received a waiver from the Illinois State Board of Education removing "seat time" as a requirement for students to receive credits toward graduation, students at Compass Academy may obtain credit for P.E. through the demonstration of Wellness competencies in several ways, including:
- taking a traditional PE class at their home high school
- participating on a high school athletic team, community-based club team, or recreational team or club
- engaging in community fitness activities or classes
- participating in regular independent fitness or movement activities
- coaching/leading recreational fitness or athletic teams or activities
- engaging in the intramurals club at Compass Academy
- researching a specific health topic and developing a related plan
Students will learn more about options for Wellness competency attainment and ways to document their Wellness learning activities in the upcoming week.
- Are you interested in joining the Parent Teacher Organization for Compass Academy? We will have our first PTO meeting later this month. Check the "Important Dates" section of the newsletter next week for the meeting date and time. We are looking forward to hearing your ideas regarding ways to help Compass Academy provide the best possible learning environment and experiences for students.
In keeping with this, CA students will be encouraged to engage in the "Spirit Week" for East and/or North High School's Homecoming celebrations, while also participating in a separate "Spirit Week" for Compass Academy that will culminate in a special event for students here.
Compass Academy will also begin offering extracurricular activities for interested students, based on suggestions received by students in a recent survey. More information on these activities will be shared in the next newsletter.