September 30th to October 4th
Important Upcoming Dates-
- NO SCHOOL MONDAY 9/30
Harper Hoedown: September 29
Enrichment: First Grade- October 2nd and 3rd
- PASS39 Morning Coffee to Connect Parents: October 2nd, 9:30-11:00 AM RSVP HERE
- Taffy Apples: October 2nd and 3rd
Book Fair: October 21-23
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL DAYS: 10/9, 10/14
Environmental Awareness week: Mid October
PASS39 Parent Education Evening: Monday, October 21st. All Parents Welcome!
Topic: How to help your child navigate social conflict and bullying 7:00 - 8:30 PM (at MEC)
PTO General Meeting at Harper: Thursday, November 14 at 9am, in the school auditorium. District 39 Superintendent Kari Cremascoli will be our guest speaker.
Hello Harper Parents/Guardians,
I owe every staff member and student a huge thank you for welcoming me back this week. After taking a few weeks off to be with my new daughter, Ellie Bea, it has been an exciting week back. I have had the chance to walk in and out of every classroom throughout the week and I love seeing all the energy, the discussions, and the hard work taking place. Most of all, each classroom is continuing to build their community and set the foundation for the year ahead.
This week I have learned so much from listening to the students talk about their school year. They have shared what they are currently working on and their favorite activities to date. I encourage you to talk to your child about how their first month went. Ask for details!
I look forward to seeing you this Sunday at the Harper Hoedown. Let’s hope for great weather. Have a nice weekend!
A few highlights from this week at Harper:
Osmo Tuesdays began in the Learning Commons
3rd graders had their first field trip to the Prairie
Kindergarteners had their first field trip to Emily Oaks Nature Center
All students ran through our annual bus evacuation drill
August/September birthday lunch celebration took place
Thornwood Ave Notification:
The Village of Wilmette is happy to inform you that an infrastructure improvement
project begin on Thornwood Avenue on Wednesday, September 25. The
2019 Sewer Repair Program will replace a storm sewer manhole and two curb inlets on
Thornwood at the intersection with Cleveland Street. Thornwood Avenue will be closed to through traffic at the intersection with Cleveland Street and is scheduled to last about 5 days.
Howdy Y'all, just a reminder that the Harper Hoedown has been rescheduled for Sunday, September 29th. Thank you all for your understanding in our endeavor to make this a fun and safe family event.
We hope to see you all there this weekend! We still need more volunteers, so please consider an hour-long shift for Sunday. Sign up to volunteer at the link below:
Sunday September 29th - 11:30a.m. - 2:00p.m.
We are planning on a lot of fun with games, pony rides, bounce houses, and zip line and more!
If you purchased tickets online, they will be available at will-call on the 29th
Did not purchase tickets online? Event and food tickets will be available for purchase at the door, credit card or cash accepted, the cost is $17 for children 5 and over $12 for adults.
Support for the Wilmette Food Pantry
Do not forget your canned goods for the Wilmette Food Pantry - receive 5 prize tickets!
Buy tickets at the event (this is cash only) for the 50/50 raffle at the event proceeds go to the Wilmette food pantry.
See you there!
- Harper Parent Social: Book your sitters and buy your tickets, this year's Parent Social will be held at A. Perry Homes in Downtown Wilmette. $50 a ticket gets you drinks, appetizers and a chance to mix and mingle with fellow Harper parents- always a lot of fun and we are hoping for a great turnout! Link to buy tickets: http://harperpto.com/category/events/parent-social/
- Community Service: we will be organizing the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive during the weeks of November 4 and 11- more info to come. Also interested in volunteering? Thanksgiving Day Volunteer Event for Connections for the Homeless http://vhub.at/1WE80BD PS: there will be no Halloween Candy Drive this year (FYI)
- Back by popular demand...Taffy Apples!!! Don't miss out on this Fall tradition! Delicious taffy apples will be for sale for $2 on October 2nd and 3rd after school in front of Harper. All proceeds go to the Harper PTO.
- Fall Box Tops Competition! Turn in box tops with the sheet you received in your student's backpack by Monday, October 13th to help Harper raise money for the Harper Maker Space! Each box top raises $0.10! The student who turns in the most box tops will win a $10 Amazon gift card. Also, paper box tops are phasing out and you will begin to see that box tops are going digital. Please visit btfe.com and download the app! Products HERE
- Enrichment: First Graders- Wilmette Library Tour and storytime! Please send your child with library cards if they have them. McCann and Mor classes will be going on 10/2 and Ballard and Brown classes will be going on 10/3.
- Stock the Teacher's Lounge! New spots have opened up. Please see the link below to sign up.
Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 55% (229 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
iGNITE! is our annual fundraiser at Harper. The money you donate, directly funds guest speakers, scientist, authors and field trips to enrich our children's curriculum.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. email@example.com
- Rotary Club of Wilmette is hosting its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE October 1st - November 16th at all D39 schools. Start saving your gently used books!
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org