Thursday, August 20, 2020
20-21 A 'MAV'NIFICENT YEAR!
Thank you to those who were able to attend the Virtual Curriculum Night meetings with each grade level. The last one is this evening with 5th grade. It was good to see such a wonderful turn-out. If you had a conflict, check with your teacher/grade level web page as meetings were recorded...just in case.
In our weekly e-news we have added the following information.
- Information from district regarding how to request changing from 'School to Home' to 'Face to Face' (and vice-versa). This is a district link so it will be updated with any changes as needed.
- Directions on how to clear the Google Chrome Browser Cache. Just a few simple steps to help your child's Chromebook run a little bit smoother.
- Directions on how to check your Google Chromebook to see if it is running on the most current operating system.
- Information on how to stay healthy from Nurse Christina
- Information about Cub Scouts for boys and girls.
- Mrs. Noble's Library Updates!
- Our calendar with updates including upcoming holidays. (No school on Monday!)
If you scroll down just a little further you will see information from last week, just in case you need a second look:
- PACE Referral Window continues to be open through September 11. Questions? Contact Mrs. Selec at Ginny.Selec@pisd.edu
- Attendance and Grading information.
- Curbside Meal pick-up, Information on how to apply for the Federal Lunch Program and new district guidelines regarding food at school once we return to 'Face to Face' Learning.
- Technology Support and Security information.
- The link to our PTA for to join and be in the loop with everything PTA!
'Face to Face' or 'School at Home'
The initial selection period for choosing PISD School@Home ended on July 16. An extended window was open between July 24-August 6 if a selection was not made by the original deadline.Parents were able to make changes during this window as well.
The next window for parents to make a change will be between September 28-October 2 and would start October 14.
The button below takes you to the district website with information on how and when you can make or update your decisions.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to either Mrs. Powell or Mr. Steele.
If there are any revisions, PISD will reach out to our families, and we promise to do the same.
CLEARING GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER CACHE
Please follow the directions below provide by Mr. Taylor, our CTA.
· Close all the browsers (tabs) you have opened and open up one Google Chrome Browser webpage
· Click on the vertical 3 dots at the top right and choose more tools and then clear browsing data
· At the top of this new box, select advanced and for time range below that make sure it says all time
· Now choose Clear data
· Once this is complete, sign out of the device, power it off, and then power it back on after 15 seconds and log back in. <-- MUST do this.
Update your Google Chromebook
Your teachers may have already asked you to do this earlier in the week. However, if your week was a little bit busy...and you haven't had a chance to do this, please take about 10 minutes to make sure your child's Chromebook is running on the latest version of Google Chrome OS. Mr. Taylor advises doing this when you have about 10 minutes because of the amount of time it takes to restart the Chromebook.
- · Open up the Google Chrome Browser and click on the 3 vertical dots in the top right hand corner
- · Scroll down and click on 'Help' and then 'About Google Chrome'
- · At the top you will see 'Check For Update' (Our latest version we are using is 83.0.4103.61 so if you see a version earlier than that then it will start updating.
- · Allow it to finish and click restart and once it has restarted proceed working like normal.
Parents, Please click the button to review all the helpful information from Nurse Christina so we can keep our Mathews Mavs happy and healthy!
Scouting Gr 4 and 5
Cub Scouts for Boys and Girls
Four ways to join:
1. Join via Zoom on August 24th at 7:00 p.m. - https://bit.ly/CTP4380 Passcode 2210752
2.Join us on August 29th from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at Plano Senior High School parking lot (2200 Independence Pkwy., Plano, TX 75075)
3.Join online by scanning the QR code or visiting http://YourAdventureStartsHere.org and select Pack 4380 on the list of units near you.
4.Call 214-509-2121 or visit Scouting Service Center (5600 US Highway 75 South, Fairview)
LIBRARY News from Mrs. Noble!
Just a quick reminder...
If you have library books at your home we have set out a white collection basket by the main door on Marchman Way. Thank you for dropping off the books you may have had from last spring.
Click the button for lots of information from our librarian, Mrs. Noble including our 20-21 Bluebonnet nominees!
Mark Your Calendar...
GRADE LEVEL CURRICULUM MEETINGS (Virtual)
Thursday August 20th - Fifth at 6:00 PM
MONDAY, AUGUST 24:
This is a Professional Training day for staff. This is a student holiday. Students will not have instruction on this day.
Monday, September 7:
Labor Day Holiday. No school.
Tuesday, September 8:
Teacher Professional Development Day. No School
Wednesday, September 9:
Face to Face Learning Beginnings for students who chose this learning option.
School to Home Learning continues for students who chose this option.
The referral window for PACE is open between August 12 through September 11. Please click this button for information from our PACE teacher, Ginny Selec.
ATTENDANCE AND GRADES
Students will need to login to Webdesk each day to be counted for daily attendance. If you use your Plano ISD issued Chromebook, the device should automatically log students into Webdesk after they login to the computer. Webdesk will be where students have access to the apps students will use for instruction.
Students who log in to the Plano ISD WebDesk each day and engage in teacher-assigned learning apps (including, but not limited to Google Classroom) are considered “present” and will not be marked absent. Students who have not logged in by 3:00 p.m. each school day will be marked absent. This absence can be resolved if the student engages in daily learning assigned by their teachers via the Plano ISD WebDesk by 11:59 p.m. that same day.
The teacher defines if a student was “engaged in learning” or not. Students need to show “engagement in learning” prior to the end of each day to receive attendance credit for that day. A student cannot simply login and logout each day and expect to be counted as “present.” The student must be engaged in teacher-assigned learning prior to midnight to be counted as “present” for that school day.
More information can be found at the First 4 Weeks Guidelines on our PISD.edu website.
INFORMATION REGARDING MEALS
Beginning August 12 through September 4, meals will be served Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Students purchasing meals will receive a lunch for the day and a breakfast for the following day.
Meals will no longer be free of charge for all students as provided during the spring remote learning and the summer feeding program. Free and reduced priced meals are available for qualifying students.
FEDERAL MEAL APPLICATION INFORMATION
If you have never filled out a meal application, just click on “Create a New Account.”
Student eligibility status from the 2019-2020 school year will roll over only for the first 30 operating days of school or until a new application has been processed. It is important that households complete an application for the 2020-2021 school year as soon as possible.
IMPORTANT: Allow 10 business days for application processing.
Click here to complete your application for Free and Reduced Lunch for the 20-21 school year.
NEW DISTRICT FOOD POLICIES
Per PISD: Once we return to Face to Face Learning:
- If students plan to eat food from home for lunch, they need to bring a packed lunch with them when they arrive to school in the morning. Students will keep their lunches in their own backpack until lunch time. Hot lunch drop offs are no longer permitted.
- Birthday treats for classrooms of students are no longer permitted. Teachers will continue to acknowledge student birthdays in the classroom as in past years, but food will no longer be shared with students.
If you have a broken Chromebook or are having difficulties with your power cord, please email our amazing Mathews' CTA, Justin Taylor at Justin.Taylor@pisd.edu
The Plano ISD help desk is also available to assist you in obtaining a working Chromebook. Contact the help desk Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (469) 752-8767, or email email@example.com.
A resource to learn how to protect your home and family with Cyber-Security. From the Department of Homeland Security.
OUR AMAZING PTA
Have you joined PTA? Your 'Go-To" for information, spirit wear and so much more! Our PTA is truly the heart of our campus!