February 10, 2014 - Austin Elementary
The week of February 10th!
MAP testing this Wednesday and Thursday!
- Monday - PE wear your tennis shoes
- Tuesday-Library, Return Your Books!
- Wednesday- Wear a College Shirt! PE wear your tennis shoes
- Friday- Rise and Shine Assemble, eTime, Runner's Club! Wear your tennis shoes 100th Day of School!
Here is what we are learning:
Unit: Valentine's Day
Sight Words: was, love
Word Family: -op and -og
Middle short e and middle short i, like red and pig
Math: Addition & Odd/Even
Social Studies: American Symbols
Science SKill: Making good observations
Life Principle: Respecting Authority Figures
Mark your calendars> Valentine's Day Party February 14th
Update - How to help your child at home!
-PRACTICE SIGHT WORDS AT HOME!! Kids can practice spelling their sight words with cereal, magnetic letters etc. You could post the sight words on index cards around the house for your child to read! :) Sight Words are listed each week at the top of the newsletter
- COMPREHENSION!! The main struggle with kids on a level 4-10 is comprehension. Students need to be able to retell the events from a story. Ask your children comprehension questions about the story that the read. They should be able to retell you the story from beginning to end with some detail!
-READ, they should be reading the book from their red reading folder every night! Please return on Friday and I will send new books home on Monday. Kindergarteners are still young enough that they still enjoy being read to!
-Practice spelling simple CVC words with your child and stretching out the words. (dig, rug, flop, etc.)
-Have your child write a sentence (or 2) about their day! Other ideas could be write about the book they just read, write a letter to a friend, create their own story!
-Encourage capital letters at the beginning with a period at the end.
-Practice WRITING numbers 1-50.... really work on those teens!
-PRACTICE COUNTING all the way to at least 50!!
-Practice identifying coins at home and their value.
-Practice counting with your child all the way to 100... and then backwards from 20.
-skip count with your chlid by 5s, 10s, and 2s!