THE COUGAR FLASH
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR COUGAR PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
SMARTER BALANCED ASSESSMENT (SBA) INFORMATION
Hello Cougar Parents and Guardians,
It is almost time for the Smarter Balanced Assessment that is given every spring to all students in 3rd through 5th grades.
What is the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA)?
The SBA is a comprehensive, mandatory online assessment that is aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in Mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA). The SBA uses computer adaptive technology (CAT), meaning that the test responds to individual students based on their responses, adjusting the difficulty of questions throughout the assessment.
Measures critical thinking with questions that ask students to demonstrate their research, writing, and problem solving skills
Provides valid, reliable, and unbiased measures of student progress toward, and attainment of, the knowledge and skills required to be college- and career-ready
Shows how the student is improving and identifies areas where they may need help
Is not timed, allowing students to take breaks
Provides accessibility resources and accommodations
Testing Dates for 4th and 5th grade
- May 10th: Literacy/ Computer Adaptive Technology Assessment
- May 11th: English Language Arts/ Performance Task
- May 17th: Math Performance Task
- May 18th: Math/ Computer Adaptive Technology Assessment
- May 23rd: 5th grade Science Assessment
Testing Dates for 3rd grade
- May 24th: Literacy/ Computer Adaptive Technology Assessment
- May 25th: English Language Arts/ Performance Task
- May 31st: Math/Computer Adaptive Technology Assessment
- June 1st: Math/ Performance Task
Link to SBA Practice Test
Click on the Practice and Training Test Tab
Click on the Green Sign In button
Select the grade
Click the the Smarter Balanced Practice Test
You can preview the assessment format and the types of questions on the SBA.
If you have questions, please contact Megan Brusnighan (206) 901-7723 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
GO CV COUGARS!
Joyful Teaching and Learning Everyday