Volumen 12, Edicion 3 - Septiembre 14, 2018
Minutos de Mrs. Hutchins
Immersion Education – Teaching academic content in another language
Hello Fronteras Families!
Well we’ve completed the first full week of school; and it was a fabulous time together!
We are moving full speed ahead with preparations for our Spanish Heritage Celebration this month and next. Mark your calendars for October 12th – that is the date for flag and class presentations and traditional dances. We hope you will be able to join us! More information will be provided as it becomes available.
Progress reports for grades 4th-8th will go home on Monday. Be sure to ask your student about it! If there are missing assignments, encourage your child to get that work in, as report cards go home November 1st!
September 27th is picture day. Student photos will begin at approximately 8:05am. Thank you to the folks who have volunteered their time to help make this day run smoothly!
Our request to adjust our school calendar to allow staff to attend the 7th Annual International Immersion Conference in February, was unanimously approved by the MSBSD School Board last week. Please see our website for the new calendar. Be sure to replace your current Fronteras calendar with the newly posted calendar, as there are several significant changes with regard to student contact days.
“Life doesn’t require that we be the best; only that we try our best.” -Anonymous
Student, Rayna, shares her bull calf, Casper, with fellow classmates!
Fronteras parents have a unique opportunity to help in our library classes. We have a team of wonderful volunteers who run library class for students and teachers. Each class meets weekly for 30 minutes. If you can’t commit to a class each week, we always need help shelving books, labeling, entering new books into the computer, book fairs and more. If you are interested in volunteering please stop in the library and you will find a clip board on the desk or email Jody at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
There are tall blue bins in each classroom around our building to place office and mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, stretched plastic, and more. This is a great opportunity for our 4th and 5th grade students to help out. We ask students to help one day each week during recess collecting materials and load them in the back of the school in our wonderful blue bins. This is where parents come in to take materials to our local recycling center!! This is a great way to get your volunteer hours, especially if you have a truck! If you are interested please let the front desk know or email Jody at email@example.com. More info for students coming soon.
Wasilla Bus Schedule Change!
The new times are as follows:
- 3 Bears Trunk (old time - 6:57am) new time - 6:52am
- 3 Bears KGB (old time - 7:18am) new time - 7:13am
- Target (old time - 7:32am) new time - 7:27am
- Boys and Girls Club (old time - 7:40am) new time - 7:35am
National Hispanic Heritage Month
CELEBRACION DE LA HERENCIA HISPANA
September 17- October 12
· One day celebration
· One country per teacher gives us 14 countries.
· One country per Special teachers (Art, music, and PE- “play Hispanic games jumping rope, etc ”) 3 countries
· One country per office (front office, SPED office, Spanish office, Math tutor office) 4 countries – Decoration only.
Total 21 countries
· Traditional country animal representing each class to decorate hallways
· School wide daily activity (Sabias que—Did you know…) fun facts!
· Staff dance
In order for students to have fun learning, Fronteras will start a school wide daily activity:
Sabias que…. Did you know that.....
· Start Monday September 17, one of the Spanish tutors and Mrs. Bang will announce two fun facts about a specific animal in a Hispanic country in the morning.
· During the day, classes will search and discuss which country those facts may belong to.
· At the end of the day, each class will leave their answer of the daily “SABIAS QUE”; inside of our mundo (world) by the Spanish tutor’s office.
· The next day tutors will announce the correct answer and the classes with the correct answer will be into a drawing on Friday.
· The class who wins the drawing will get an empty piñata to use at any time during the month. ( Teachers will ask parents for donations to help fill the piñata)
Note: * By Monday October 12, Fronteras would have covered the 21 Hispanic countries.
Classrooms Celebrations! (During the month)
To keep students immersed in the culture, teachers will choose one afternoon per week during this month to celebrate their country by creating crafts, watching videos, listening music, potluck, doing piñatas, decorating hallways, doors, doing poster, practicing dancing, creating traditional dress, etc to present to the school on the final day, Friday, October 13. (Inviting parents to volunteer)
It's On The Website!
**CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR IPARENT**
Have no fear, SchoolCash Online is here! For safety, efficiency and the reduction of cash and checks coming into our schools, the MSBSD has implemented SchoolCash Online! It takes less than 5 minutes to register to start enjoying the convenience of paying online and fast!
**CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR SCHOOLCASH ONLINE**
School Dismissal Manager
SDM sent families an email on Friday, August 17th with necessary information to access SDM. Parents/guardians of Fronteras students no longer need to call the front office to make changes to their child’s afternoon dismissal plans. You will do it all at your convenience!
Visit www.schooldismissalmanager.com today to download the app or visit Kami at the front desk for a personal demonstration!
Thank you for being Fronteras SDM rockstars!
Get the App!
DOWNLOAD THE NEW MSBSD APP!
Stay connected with your students' schools all in one place! The app also gives you access to Tip Line to report information directly to your child's Principal.
Click the image below to learn more about all the app's new features!