ESL Update (K-2)
December 5th: Holiday Vendor Fair
December 16th: Late Start
December 23rd (2:45): Winter Classroom Parties / Last day before break
Linguistic, Academic and Cross-Cultural Goals
The Urbandale Community School District’s English Learner program goals are:
· To assist English learners and their families in understanding and functioning within American society;
· To involve English learners’ families and the community in the educational process to make education a cooperative effort between home and school;
· To support English learners’ academic success in the content areas at grade appropriate level;
· To promote pride in English learners’ cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
· To educate English learners to the same rigorous standards as all students in the district at grade appropriate levels;
· To accelerate academic and conversational English language acquisition/development in the areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing through formal language instruction.
The Big 5
Kindergarten: Students have been reading informational text and identifying the key details. Remind children that they can learn more about the topic of an informational text by reading the text and looking carefully at the photographs. This will help them find the key details. As a review, remind children that as they read they can ask questions about things they don’t understand and look for answers in the text and pictures.
1st grade: Students have been identifying the main topic and key details in nonfiction text. Remind children that the main topic is the subject. The key details give information about the main topic. The graphic organizer below can be used with most nonfiction texts!