State and Local Governments CH 12
What is a Federal System of Government?
According to the natural rights philosophy, the people have the right to create a government.
- Our founders delegated some powers only to the national government.
- Federalism refers to the practice of dividing and sharing the powers of government between a central government and regional governments such as state governments.
- In your own words, what is the system of federalism?
Political Cartoon Interpretation
Look at the political cartoon. What do you notice about the cartoon? How does it relate to federalism? Is the cartoonist in favor of state's rights or nationalists?
Delegated Powers Chart
- Why do you think the national government controls the power to print money?
- Why do you think state governments set the age for getting a driver's license?
- When the 13th amendment was passed in 1865, the national government took away the right of states to decide if slavery would be legal in the state. Why do you think a national law was passed about this?
States Rights v. Nationalists
- Go in your textbook and read in section 1 on the states' rights v. nationalists arguments.
- What is being shown in the cartoon?
- Do you agree with a states' rights view or a nationalists view? Discuss your opinion with your partner.
Write the questions and answers in a document. When completed upload document as a PDF to Moodle. This will count as a homework grade.