Google Drive and Microsoft
Editing Microsoft Office Files in the Google Drive
What is Office Compatibility Mode (OCM)?
You can now open and edit Microsoft files in Google drive with the help of something called Office Compatibility Mode. This extension activates when you open a Microsoft file in the Google Drive. It will open in a new window and you will be able to edit and save your file without converting it to a Google Document.
Troubleshooting the Extension
- Make sure you are logged into Chrome browser
- Ensure your file is supported.
- Save Office files to the 2007 version of Office or later.
- Avoid corrupted or password-protected files. These will not open in OCM.
- Ensure your files do not exceed size limits.
- Reload the tab. When experiencing difficulty, try reloading the tab that contains your file.
You must be signed into the Chrome Browser when on your desktop.
Edit Microsoft files from Gmail
When you receive an attachment in your email that is a Microsoft file, you have three options. One, you can download the file. Two, you can save to your Google Drive. Or, three, you can select edit and edit it as a Google Doc.