Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of September 6-September 12
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
Jesus Calms the Storm
What makes you afraid?
Jesus used a boat as His floating pulpit while teaching the people gathered along the shores of Galilee. Jesus spoke about the kingdom of God in parables to the people, explaining the meaning of these parables to the disciples. After a long day of teaching, Jesus directed the disciples to cross the Sea of Galilee. Exhausted, Jesus fell asleep in the boat. Soon a windstorm swept down across the sea whipping the waves into a frenzy. Despite the strong storm, Jesus slept soundly in the stern. That is, He slept soundly until the frightened disciples woke Him! What would Jesus do to calm their fear?
Heavenly Father, sometime we feel afraid. When we feel scared, help us turn to You and trust in You to help us. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Jesus Calms the Storm
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Mark 4:35–41 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- What were the disciples afraid of? What did Jesus do?
- When Jesus calmed the storm, He not only showed His care for the disciples but He also He showed that He is God. Why does that matter?
- How does Jesus help you when you are afraid?
The disciples were afraid of the storm—they thought they were going to drown. Jesus calmed the storm, and calmed their fears.
Jesus saved the lives of His disciples in the boat. But even more than that, Jesus showed that He has power over all creation because He is God. The same is true for us today. God cares for us every day, but even more important, He sent His Son, Jesus, to rescue us from eternal death.
Talk about the ways that Jesus helps you when you are afraid.
Fear not, for I am with you. Isaiah 41:10
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, thank You for protecting us in the storms of life. Thank You for Your Word that reminds us of how much You love and care for us. Help us to share this amazing good news with everyone we know. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Comments are recorded anonymously, and will not be seen by the public.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment