THE VALLEY VIEW
Home of the Explorers: Second Mid-Summer Edition 8-15-23
Welcome to a special summer edition of the Valley View!
Beginning in September, our families will receive their Valley View weekly newsletters on Fridays at 2:00 pm delivered to your email inboxes. These newsletters always contain important information about the 'happenings' around school so be sure to take some time weekly to keep yourself current. When in doubt...check your newsletter. Wishes for warm summer days that are filling up with lots of positive memories.
Explore, Grow, & Soar,
Dr. Karen Russo, Principal at Pleasant Valley
Mrs. Christine Fellona, Assistant Principal at Pleasant Valley
Save the Dates
First Day of School: for the 2023-2024 academic school year will be on Thursday, September 7, 2023. Click HERE for the full day schedule.
Open House Back to School Night:
- Monday, September 18th: Fourth and Fifth Grade @7pm
- Tuesday, September 19th: Sixth Grade @7pm
CLASS PLACEMENTS FOR THE 2023-2024
Real Time Parent Portal Opening: It is anticipated that the Real Time portal for class placements will be opening on August 25th. Parents will have access to their child's teacher and their child's transportation information at that time.
We ask our Explorer families to re-check transportation information the night before school begins, September 6th, due to any last minute scheduling changes.
Beginning of the Year Information
Student Drop Off:
- Drop off occurs at the front of the building, from 7:45 AM - 8:00 AM
- Please do not arrive prior to 7:45 AM. Our teachers and staff need space in the car line to access the Cedar Road parking lot
- Students should not be dropped off prior to 7:45 AM. There is no staff on duty to supervise them. Drop off begins at 7:45 AM
- Parents and guardians are to remain in their vehicle during the drop-off process and leave the property accordingly after your child has exited.
- Please arrange your car seating so students are exiting from the driver's side of the car. Students crossing in front of cars is not safe. It's okay for children to sit in the back seat; thank you.
Pleasant Valley students who ride the bus home are dismissed at 2:25 PM
An announcement will be made at 2:20 PM to dismiss parent pick-up students.
Parent pick-up is located in the Welcome Lobby.
All cars are to park in designated parking spots. Parking next to the curb is not permitted.
Parents will sign the sign-out sheet that will be located outside of the main entrance.
You must have your identification when signing your child out of the building.
Please be aware that traffic entering or exiting the school parking lot may be stopped to accommodate bus dismissal. Once the boarded buses have left the school, car traffic will be allowed to enter and exit.
Please check Real Time the night before school starts to make double check the bus number and arrival and dismissal times. This information may change now until then.
The use of privately owned technology by a pupil in the educational setting during the school day or on the school bus is not permitted. All wireless and cellular telephone devices/smartwatches must be turned off and stored in a locker or book bag, inaccessible to the student during school hours. Disruption of the teaching and learning process will result initially in confiscation of the device. Further disruptions will result in disciplinary actions. Cell phones/smartwatches/personal devices are to be off, away, and invisible all day. Thank you for cooperation and support.
The student lunch price for 2023 - 2024 is $3.15. All students utilize their student identification number to purchase lunch. Cafeteria staff with have this readily available if students need help. Microwaves are not available to heat up your child's lunch. Please utilize an appropriate insulated thermos to keep items warm. Refrigerators are not available. Please utilize an ice pack to keep items cold. Lunch deliveries from local restaurants for individual student's daily lunch are not permitted.
As families are preparing for a new school year, please take time to label lunch boxes, water bottles, backpacks, jackets, etc.
We will continue to use Lobby Guard in our Welcome Lobby. Our main office staff will continue to scan your government-issued photo identification and the software will conduct an on-the-spot background check before a visitor is permitted entry into the school. We are delighted to welcome back PVS's School Resource Officer (SRO) Michael Minniti. Mr. Minniti helps keep our school safe on a daily basis by assisting with morning and afternoon traffic, checking our doors to make sure they are secured, and monitoring the hallways.
We enjoy celebrating birthdays! A special snack can be sent in for your child's homeroom. Full cakes and goodie bags are discouraged. Please send in a peanut-free and store bought treat. Check with your child's teacher for any foods to avoid, and when summer birthdays are celebrated in the homeroom.
GENERAL 2023-2024 SUPPLY LISTS
It is recommended that each learner brings a labeled backpack, lunchbox, refillable water bottle, and coat to school.
Check out the website HERE for other suggestions regarding supplies.
- Cost: Student Lunch Price is $3.15 for the 2023-2024 school year.
- ID Numbers: All students utilize their student identification number to purchase lunch. Don't worry! Teachers and our cafeteria staff have your little ones' number readily on hand. There are many happy faces available to help your child with the routine and simple procedures.
- Microwaves: Microwaves are not available to heat up your child's lunch. Please utilize an appropriate insulated thermos if packing items that need to stay warm.
- Refrigerators: Refrigerators are not available to keep every child's lunch cold. Please utilize an ice pack if packing items that need to stay cool.
- Food Delivery: Lunch deliveries from local restaurants and/or fast food restaurants for an individual student's daily lunch are not permitted for this school year. We make sure all of our Explorers have lunch and full bellies to tackle their afternoon.