LSMSA Student Services News
Life at LSMSA... Outside of the Classroom
Mardi Gras Break
- Classes dismiss on Friday, February 5th and the residence halls close at 4:00 p.m. that day. The halls will reopen at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 14th.
- Bus tickets for the Mardi Gras break are now on sale. There are only 80 seats available and tickets are sold on a first-come, first serve basis.
- The bus will depart campus on Friday, February 5th at 1:30 p.m. and will return to campus on Sunday, February 14th. Click on the PDF link below for a listing of the bus service pick-up locations in each city and information on purchasing tickets.
- Make sure you are present before the departure times. The bus must adhere to a tight schedule. Be mindful that traffic will be heavy with the Mardi Gras festivities.
- Note that the drop-off location on the 5th will be at the Sam's Club in Kenner and not at the Lakeside Mall due to parade congestion.
- Contact John Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions regarding the bus service.
Click here for bus service information.
Student Activities Updates
It's been a busy start to the year! Here's a list of some of the things our students and student life staff have been up to thus far:
- Service Day at Local Food Bank (1/7)
- Campfire with S'mores (1/8)
- Dinner on the Town (1/9)
- Smash Brothers Gaming Night (1/15)
- Campfire with Cocoa (1/16)
- Chips and Salsa (1/16)
- Campfire with Cocoa (1/23)
- David Bowie Movie Night (1/23)
- Service Day at Hodges Gardens (1/23)
- Dinosaur Movie Night (1/24)
- Nerf Football (1/24)
In addition to weekend programs, which are open to the full student body, each Student Life Advisor plans activities for his/her hall. So far this year, students have celebrated hall-mates' birthdays, enjoyed food provided by parents, spent time together socializing, gone on food runs, and spent time syncing their schedules/syllabi for the new semester.
Upcoming events include:
- Painting with a Twist LSMSA-Style (1/29)
- Ice-Skating in Shreveport (1/30)
- Valentine-Making Party (1/30)
- Grease LIVE! Party (1/31)
- Black History Trivia (2/16)
- Sweethearts Dance (2/20)
- Breaking Bad Diet Habits (2/23)
- Midnight Basketball (2/27)
Many of these activities, and all of the hall programming organized by your student's SLA, are funded through your Student Activity Fees. Thank you for your continued support, which allows us to provide social and educational enrichment for our students.
Remember to review the special policies for dance nights with your student in advance.
With parental permission, students may drive their cars or ride with other students in town on this night.
Permission forms are due on Monday, February 15th. Riding/driving permission is only valid if submitted on the dance permission form. Please work with your student to assure that permissions are completed and submitted by the stated deadline. Permissions that appear to be forged will not be accepted and submission of such forms may result in disciplinary action.
The link below will take you to the webpage regarding dances where you can find dance night policies and necessary permission forms.
Contact Emily Shumate (email@example.com) with any questions.
1/29 - Volleyball @ LSMSA - 5:30 p.m.
2/2 - Basketball @ WOGA (Shreveport) - 6:00 p.m.
2/4 - Volleyball @ LSMSA - 5:30 p.m.
2/4 - Basketball @ SWLA (Lake Charles) - 5:30 p.m.
2/16 - Volleyball @ LSMSA - 5:30 p.m.
2/18 - Basketball @ LSMSA - TBA
2/19 - Volleyball* @ LSMSA - 4:30 p.m.
2/23 - Volleyball @ LSMSA - 6:00 p.m.
2/23 - Basketball @ LSMSA - 7:00 p.m.
2/26 - Volleyball @ New Hope - 6:00 p.m.
*Senior Night for our volleyball players
Contact Coach Dale Clingerman (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
1/29 - Last day to drop a class without a W
2/1 - Faculty Recital: Dr. Charles Jones, featuring Dr. Pat Widhalm
2/2 - Senior Graduation supply orders
2/5 - Dismiss for Mardi Gras break; Halls close at 4:00 p.m.
2/14 - Return from Mardi Gras break; Halls open at 3:00 p.m.
2/15 - Sweethearts Dance permissions due
2/20 - Sweethearts Dance
2/29 - Last day to drop a class with a W
3/3 - Dismiss for extended weekend; Halls close at 4:00 p.m.
3/6 - Return from extended weekend; Halls open at 3:00 p.m.
3/11 - End of first 9-week grading period