Tex Hill Middle School-April 2016 Teacher edition
Welcome to the Tex Hill Counseling Office!
LET'S GET READY TO ROCK MAY STAAR TESTING!!!
UPCOMING STAAR TESTING TRAININGS!!!
Algebra I EOC make up training : Friday, April 29th 7:40 a.m. in the Counseling Conference room
May STAAR training - Wednesday, April 27th 7:25 a.m. or 3:40 p.m. in the 6th CLC
May STAAR make up training - Friday, April 29th 7:25 a.m. or 3:40 p.m. in the 6th CLC
Managing bullying in the classroom
Teachers can consider these ways to promote the respect, positive relations, and order that helps prevent bullying in the classroom:
- Create ground rules.
- Develop rules with students so they set their own climate of respect and responsibility.
- Use positive terms, like what to do, rather than what not to do.
- Support school-wide rules.
- Reinforce the rules.
- Be a role model and follow the rules yourself. Show students respect and encourage them to be successful.
- Make expectations clear. Keep your requests simple, direct, and specific.
- Reward good behavior. Try to affirm good behavior four to five times for every one criticism of bad behavior.
- Use one-on-one feedback, and do not publicly reprimand.
- Help students correct their behaviors. Help them understand violating the rules results in consequences: “I know you can stop [negative action] and go back to [positive action]. If you choose to continue, then [consequence].”
How to destress as you prepare for the end of the school year?
- Good Nutrition. Eating healthy foods helps your immune system work properly and combats the toll that stress can take on your body.
- Breathing techniques. Breathing practice helps sustain vital energy and can lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Breathe in for the count of four, hold for the count of four, and exhale for the count of four.
- Regular exercise. Regular exercise practiced at least three times per week can relax your body and mind. Try walking, swimming or Yoga.
- Short breaks. Periodic breaks where you stretch, breathe or just get a change of scenery can revive your body and lift your spirits.
- Calm classroom environment. Provide sensory experiences to help children diffuse the stress they may be carrying from the home environment or from being separated from their parents. When the children are calm and engaged in classroom activities, you are able to better provide the nurturing attention they need and ultimately you will feel a sense of peace.
WEEKLY COUNSELING TIPS ON THE MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS
Counseling Office contact information
Mrs. Lesley Reichert-6th M-Z and 8th grade Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org 210-356-8033
Mrs. Jane Murray-Data Processor email@example.com 210-356-8031
Mrs. Julie Turner-Counseling Clerk/Registrar firstname.lastname@example.org 210-356-8030