A weekly newsletter for LVES Parents
May 6, 2016 - Issue 34
Teacher Appreciation Thank You
Thank you for making our teachers feel loved and appreciated this week. Teachers enjoyed the daily treats, cards and gifts that students brought in each day. Thank you PTO for proving teachers with the popcorn bar, flower vases, and sandwich lunch.
Cinco de Mayo Thank You
Our students and teachers enjoyed the yummy foods prepared by our ESL families in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Thank you for sharing a part of your heritage with us!
STAAR Tests Next Week
All 3rd and 4th grade students will be taking the STAAR Math and Reading tests on Monday and Tuesday. PTO is providing snacks and water to all 3rd and 4th grade students. Students will be testing throughout the building, so we ask that visits to campus on testing days be kept at a minimal. Visitors will not be allowed in testing areas of the campus or able to eat lunch with 3rd and 4th grade students. If you have a 3rd or 4th grade student, please make sure that he/she gets plenty of rest the night before the tests, and arrive at school on time. LVES wished our 3rd and 4th graders "Good Luck" today by cheering them on as they took a Victory Walk around the campus. Kindergarten through 2nd grade classes also wrote letters of encouragement.
Dyslexia Support Meeting
LVES loves our Volunteers! Many school activities cannot happen without the help of our many volunteers. In order to show our appreciation, we are hosting an appreciation brunch on May 13th. Please stop by the Reading Lab at 8:00 for some yummy breakfast foods and coffee. Thank you for all that you do!!
Mother/Son "Rock Around the Clock" is Friday!!
Tickets are still on sale for this event.
Student Placement Profile
Student Placement Profile forms will be coming home in Friday folders today. This is your opportunity to describe the classroom environment that would make learning successful for your child. Building classes takes a lot of thought and time, and we rely on input from teachers and parents as we build classes. Specific teacher requests will not be accepted, as the focus should be on describing the optimal learning environment. Please return completed forms to the front office by May 20th.
School Supplies On Sale
If your child is moving to Lago Vista Intermediate School next year (this year's current 3rd and 4th grade students), you will be able to purchase pre-ordered school supplies too. I am attaching the order form to the newsletter.
Lost and Found is FULL
LVISD Monthly Character Trait...
How are you showing Gratitude? Read the Counselor's Corner to find out what students are learning about how to be responsible with Ms. Box.
Classes are learning how to have an “attitude of gratitude” this month during our guidance lessons and how a positive outlook can change how we feel. We are discussing all the little things to be thankful for on a daily basis and how important it is to show appreciation to those around us. Each class will be making thank you cards, writing letters, and creating special notes for their teachers to show their gratitude.
- Monday, May 9th - STAAR - OPEN
- Tuesday, May 10th - STAAR - OPEN
- Wednesday, May 11th - STAAR - OPEN
- Thursday, May 12th - Joey Sisca
- Friday, May 13th - Dan Morgan, Dennis Wagoner
Weekly Attendance Rate
Our weekly attendance goal is 97%.
Christine Harris, Administrative Assistant
Registration and Attendance:
Veronica Fidencio, Registrar/Attendance Clerk
Student Emotional Support:
Kim Box, Counselor
Gina Carmichael, School Nurse
Discipline and School Improvement:
Michelle Jackson, Principal
Eric Holt, Assistant Principal
- May 9th - STAAR Math test for all 3rd and 4th Grade Students - limited visitors please
- May 10th - STAAR Reading test for all 3rd and 4th Grade Students - limited visitors please
- May 10th - 2nd Grade Field Trip to Sweet Berry Farms
- May 10th - Life Skills Field Trip to HIll Country Science Museum
- May 11th - Dyslexia Support Meeting, 5:30-6:30 pm in Viking Hall
- May 13th - GT Field Trip to Austin Duck Adventures
- May 13th - PTO Mother/Son Rock Around The Clock Sock Hop, 7:00-9:00 pm
- May 18th - 4th Grade Field Trip to Symphony
- May 20th - Field Day for 3rd and 4th Grades
- May 20th - Ocean Week Opening Ceremonies - 1:45 pm in cafeteria; Kindergarten performance
- May 23rd - 27th - OCEAN WEEK 2016
- May 24th - 4th Grade Field Trip to Inner Space Caverns
- May 24th - 3rd Grade Field Trip to Balcones Canyonlands
- May 26th - 1st Grade Field Trip to Crowe's Nest Farms
- May 26th - Learning Showcase, 5:30-7:00 pm
- May 27th - Ocean Week Closing Ceremonies - 1:45 pm in cafeteria - 1st grade performance
- May 30th - Memorial Day Holiday, No School for Students and Staff
- June 1st - Early Dismissal at 11:30, no pm PPCD or pm Pre-K classes
- June 1st - Faculty vs. 3rd Grade Kick Ball Game, 8:30 am
- June 2nd - Last Day of School, Early Dismissal at 11:30, no pm PPCD or pm Pre-K classes
- June 2nd - Farewell Walk for 3rd and 4th Grade Students, 11:00 am
- June 2nd - Faculty vs. 4th Grade Kick Ball Game, 8:30 am