Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, March 18, 2016
- Reading: We continued our focus on biographies and read "Sacagawea." Students worked on identifying the main idea and supporting details in the text.
- Writing: We wrapped up our compare and contrast writing piece. We continued to focus on writing a topic sentence and strong supporting details. We also learned about nature poetry and wrote poems.
- Grammar: Our focus this week was on abbreviations.
Science and Social Studies
- Social Studies: This subject area was our big focus this week. We prepared for Mini-Society, had a great Mini-Society and then debriefed and applied the concepts of a market economy to the students' businesses. Thanks to all the parents who were able to come out and shop the students' market day! It was a huge success and the kids did an amazing job!
- Science: We continued to learn about examples and properties of waves. We looked at sound waves, water waves, and waves on a string as examples to get us started.
- old magazines for the kids to cut up (school appropriate please :))
- March 24 - Math Test
- March 25 - No School
- March 28 - Classroom Battle of the Books
- March 30 - Final Battle of the Books
- April 1-11 - No School - Spring Break
- April 12 - School Resumes
- Monday - Gym
- Tuesday - Music
- Wednesday - Library
- Thursday - Art and Gym
- Friday - No School
The students have been learning archery the past few weeks in gym! I went in to watch them shoot, they were being such good listeners and taking the new activity very seriously! Your kids are doing amazing things!
We have just a week left of Battle of the Books. Students need to have a minimum of three books read for Monday, March 28 when we do our classroom book battle!!
Student Council Reading Challenge
Be working on the March reading challenge from the Shay Student Council. Remember if you complete all 14 challenges and turn the sheet in by March 30 you can dress up as your favorite book character on March 31