Washington Wildcat Chat
February Edition 2023
Letter From Ms. Brito
Dear Washington Families,
In the coming weeks, our staff will collaborate on the important process of creating class lists for the upcoming school year. This process is quite structured, takes various factors into account, and involves many stages.
Because the placing of students in classrooms is so important, we use a very specific and detailed process for all children. We consider several criteria in making our decisions, with no one being more important than another. The following criteria are considered before placements are made:
• The total number of children in all grade-level classes needs to be equal.
• Ability levels of students need to be balanced in each grade level class.
• Leadership skills and other affective characteristics need to be balanced.
• Students’ learning styles should be matched appropriately with teachers’ instructional styles.
• Some student combinations should be split for social or academic reasons.
We will also coordinate co-teaching opportunities that may dictate how we group and cluster students in all grade levels.
If you would like to provide specific information about your child to assist in the homeroom placement selection, please submit a letter by Friday, March 24th. Pertinent information may include the parents’ view of how the child learns best, the environment that best suits learning, peer social matches to avoid, and any other pertinent details. Such information will be considered as part of our process, but final decisions about class assignments are determined by the administration and teachers.
Due to the nature and complexity of this task, we are unable to accept requests for specific teachers. We ask that you please do not put our teachers in an awkward position by requesting a specific placement for them. At times, they are unable to honor a request and we do not want them to feel responsible for not being able to follow through with considerations.
Please note that any letters received after Friday, March 24th may not be considered. Our staff will spend a significant amount of time on placements, and we take the process very seriously.
Lastly, please note that once homeroom assignments are made and notifications are shared in August, we are unable to honor requests for changes. We encourage you to take the opportunity now to share your thoughts. If you have questions or feel you need to have a conversation with me that our letter method doesn't provide, please contact me as I'd rather have this conversation now than a complicated conversation in August.
Thanks for your support and partnership.
Supervision at Arrival and Dismissal
Cell Phones and Smart Watches at School
Kids Heart Challenge at Washington!
The students at Washington Elementary are getting ready for the American Heart Association's KIDS HEART CHALLENGE!
Mark Your Calendars:
Our school is kicking off our Kids Heart Challenge program on February 12, 2023, but you can get a jump start TODAY!
Getting started is as easy as 1..2…3…
- Download the Kids Heart Challenge App or visit heart.org/KHC to register.
- Choose your daily health challenge to Move More or Be Kind and earn your own BE THE TORCH wristband so you can help light the way!
- Get a head start on COMPLETING FINN’S MISSION in your Headquarters, where you and your family can put the power of lifesaving Hands-Only CPR into YOUR hands and help us create a community of lifesavers! Try to do all 8 activities to complete the Mission!
We are looking forward to a fun heart-healthy program!
Don’t forget: Double your Gift! Check to see if your employer will match your donation today! Follow the steps and forward the confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org to have this added to the student’s fundraising page
ROARS Winners for January
- February 8: PTO Meeting, 7:00
- February 9: Special Board of Education Meeting
- February 16: Regular Board of Education Meeting
- February 20: No School - President's Day
- March 8: 2nd Trimester ends
- March 9: Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences:
- March 10: No School for Students, Records/Planning Day
- March 15: 2nd Trimester Report Cards Home
- March 27-31: No School - Spring Break